TS-453 Pro: Volume not expandable after Disk replacement

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
xyllabus
New here

TS-453 Pro: Volume not expandable after Disk replacement

Post by xyllabus »

I have replaced disk-by-disk from 12 TB-disks to 16 TB-disks. Apart from difficulties with the replace process (worked not as described), I ended up with a RAID 5 group with the four disks à 16TB.
The RAID group is shown with 43.63 TB with each disk 14.55 TB. The volume (static volume) is still at the old value and shows 32,32 TB. i-node is set to 32K which gives a maximum volume size of 127.99 TB.

The problem is, that I cannot find a way to increase the volume size from the old value to the new value. Is there a config-file which I can patch to the desired size for the volume?

xyllabus
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-453 Pro: Volume not expandable after Disk replacement

Post by dolbyman »

did you go through the "one by one" expansion ui?
xyllabus
New here

Post by xyllabus »

Hi dolbyman,
yes I did. There were some issues with the process. It only runs as described with the first disk replacement. In the others i was asked to remove the selected disk, however when removed it does not show "insert new disk". In inserted anyway after some time waiting for the message (did not come). When the new disk was inserted, ths system did not start automatically with rebuild process. I have restarted the system, and then it started rebuilding.
xyllabus
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

So did you actually use the 'Expand Capacity' function at the end of the replace disk-by-disk procedure, or not?

Once you have replaced all the disks you're supposed to go back to 'Storage & Snapshots > Storage > Storage/Snapshots > Manage > Replace Disks One by One' and click the 'Expand Capacity' button.

Expanding a RAID Group by Replacing all Disks
xyllabus
New here

Post by xyllabus »

Hi Mousetick,
I could not use the "Expand Capacity" function, as the associated button was not activated when I finished changing all four disks andwaited for rebuilding the RAID group. If I go to the replace disk-by-disk and click on replace, the "Expand Capacity" button is greyed out.
I contacted QNAP support, who have done a remote session and initiated a synchronization. Since then the RAID group shows the correct size, but the volume still stays with the old value. This was on Beb. 8th. Since then I did not hear anything from support.
xyllabus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Post by holger_kuehn »

When the RAID-group shows the correct size you are done in Storage-space-Management. But you will need to expand the volume as well.

You can do so in the volume-management, manage and expand.

PS: use the button "Expandieren" from your screenshot
NAS (production): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
NAS (backup): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2-Sata
Data (QTier): [RAID-6] 4 x 4TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata
Data (HDD): [RAID-6] 7 x 18TB Exos
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD
BACKUP: 10x4TB WD Red using a USB 3.0 Dock
Usage: SMB with rclone (encrypted)

NAS: TS-873U-RP FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
Data (SSD): [RAID-10] 4 x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Sata
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower PR2200ELCDRT2U
BACKUP: 4TB Synology DS214 FW: DSM 7.0.41890
Usage: SMB, Backup Domain Controller
xyllabus
New here

Post by xyllabus »

Hallo Holger,
unfortunately it does not give me a chance to expand the volume. Only "New Volume" and "Add a disk to The volume" is presented. So thre is no way to expand the existing volume. I am currently baccking up all existing data from the volume. When finished, I will delete the volume, crate a new one and copy back all data.

This is a creasy way, but I do not see any other.
Regards,
xyllabus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
xyllabus
New here

Post by xyllabus »

I solved the issue with "brute force", backed up all data, deleted the volume, created a new one. Now I have to restore all data.
xyllabus
Semantix4Arnold
Starting out

Post by Semantix4Arnold »

In my case the same problem seemed to happen (TS-453A; upgraded fro 4 x 3TB to 4 x 4 TB) but when I was preparing a service call after reading this thread, preparing to take a screenshot, suddenly the expand capacity button became enabled. The problem apparently was a shortage of patience.
Semantix4Arnold
Starting out

Post by Semantix4Arnold »

Mousetick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:29 pm So did you actually use the 'Expand Capacity' function at the end of the replace disk-by-disk procedure, or not?

Once you have replaced all the disks you're supposed to go back to 'Storage & Snapshots > Storage > Storage/Snapshots > Manage > Replace Disks One by One' and click the 'Expand Capacity' button.

I learned it can take a while before the 'Expand Capacity' button becomes enabled. And there is no indication that you must wait for some background process to recognise that capacity can be expanded.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Semantix4Arnold wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:13 pm I learned it can take a while before the 'Expand Capacity' button becomes enabled. And there is no indication that you must wait for some background process to recognise that capacity can be expanded.
Yep, that's useful info for others attempting the procedure who may be less patient.

To be fair, the manual does warn a little about it (emphasis mine):
Wait for rebuilding to finish.
Warning:
Do not remove any disks while the RAID group is rebuilding.
The disks status changes back to Good.
Repeat the previous steps until all disks in the RAID group have been replaced.
The Expand Capacity button is enabled after all disks have been replaced and rebuilding has finished.
And here is the correct link to the relevant manual page (the link I previously posted is just sending to the table of contents):
xyllabus
New here

Post by xyllabus »

The "Expand Capacity" button never showed up - even after days. QNAP Service took an action and expanded the RAID 5, however the Volume remained at the original size and could not be expanded.
After a week of waiting for an answer from QNAP-Service, I took other actions. I installed the former 12 TB HDD's in my workstation. There they replaced an existing RAID-5 with former 3 x 4 TB, and I replaced a stand alone disk of 4 TB by the remaining 12 TB disk frm my NAS. Now I had enough disk space in my workstation and copied the whole NAS content to the workstation.
When finished, I deleted the current olume on my NAS and created a new one, which now has the fill space given by the RAID-5 Group.
I have then copied back all content, and after a further week I finished.
All is now running as desired.

A word to QNAP Service. After 3 weeks now, I never got any further answer or comment on my answers - very bad.
Xyllabus

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”