Private NAS still listed in search results

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
conte0815
Starting out

Private NAS still listed in search results

Post by conte0815 »

Hi,
I set access control in myQNAPcloud to "Private", but searching for the name of my NAS still works with the info that I set my NAS to Private.
What gives?
According to User Manual, FAQ and Help from QNap setting access control to private should prevent everyone from finding the NAS at all:
The access modes control who can find your device by searching your device name and view the published services. There are three modes:
1) Public -- Everyone with or without signing in with a myQNAPcloud account
2) Customized -- Only the list of permitted myQNAPcloud accounts
3) Private -- Only yourself.
If you would like to allow other people to use myQNAPcloud Link for accessing your device, please configure Customized mode and add them to your permission list.
https://support.myqnapcloud.com/faq/_fa ... an?lang=en
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Private NAS still listed in search results

Post by Mousetick »

Yep. Good find. You can also find valid devices by trying https://qlink.to/random-name URLs, even if you're not signed in to myQNAPcloud.
conte0815 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:21 am What gives?
Well, it's QNAP's idea of security and privacy for ya. :wink:

On my first try looking into this big nice hole, I stumbled upon one NAS whose owner is publishing the QTS UI to the whole world. :roll:
conte0815
Starting out

Re: Private NAS still listed in search results

Post by conte0815 »

Mousetick wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:21 am Well, it's QNAP's idea of security and privacy for ya. :wink:
:roll:
Mousetick wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:21 am On my first try looking into this big nice hole, I stumbled upon one NAS whose owner is publishing the QTS UI to the whole world. :roll:
You might as well if the name is known. I was wondering about the regular, seemingly targeted, brute force attacks, because I foolishly thought the NAS is hidden and they didn't orignate from port scans.
Sorry for the late answer and thank you for taking the time to reply.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”