Upgrading NAS - need advice

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
yorkshirekid
Know my way around

Upgrading NAS - need advice

Post by yorkshirekid »

I have TS-410. It is at the back of the house and my TV is at the front of the house. I stream movies to the TV via ethernet - NAS to TV. I never have any issue. But, I was wondering if there would be an advantage having the NAS next to the TV and connecting via HDMI cable?

Another thing that I have never understood is Plex. Currently I use the TV to navigate to my NAS and so the media files, then simply click on one to listen / watch. What advantage does PLEX give, if any?

Another thing that I have never understood is Transcoding. I know what it is but can't understand why it is used. My media files are playable from the get-go. They play on the TV or the PC with one click. Why would someone want to transcode a film, for instance, when I don't?

Answers to these questions may help me with a choice for a new NAS. I want a 4bay unit and am looking at TS-431P3 and TS-453Be and TVS-472XT. I know they are very different in cost and performance but I'm not sure which to choose.

Use will be media streaming, file backup and eventually storage for cctv surveillance.
TS-410(250MB) - 01/06/2016 - Raid 5 - 3x2TB Western Digital Green + 1x2TB WD Red Plus.
TVS-472XT(4GB) - 17/04/2023 - Raid 5 - 4x4TB Iron Wolf
TV - Samsung 65"
Apple TV + iMacs + iPhones +iPads
Amazon Echo Show 8
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Upgrading NAS - need advice

Post by dolbyman »

Qnap NAS are very bad playback devices..so don't use the HDMI port

I guess you use DLNA now ? ..picture plex as an interface like netflix..it sorts you movies and tv shows niceley for you

you would need transcoding if your client does not support a video or audio codec or your bandwith requirements need a change of video/audio codec, resolution or bitrate (e.g. mobile streaming)
yorkshirekid
Know my way around

Post by yorkshirekid »

I did NOT know using HDMI was a bad thing. Thanks. Now I know where to house the device.
Yes, I'm using DLNA - so I assume I do not need Plex then as everything works on the Samsung TV - except jpg's, I can't see those files.
Any advice on the NAS choice please?
TS-410(250MB) - 01/06/2016 - Raid 5 - 3x2TB Western Digital Green + 1x2TB WD Red Plus.
TVS-472XT(4GB) - 17/04/2023 - Raid 5 - 4x4TB Iron Wolf
TV - Samsung 65"
Apple TV + iMacs + iPhones +iPads
Amazon Echo Show 8
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I used to use DLNA a lot..but switched over completly to plex ..on all my TVs..sooo much better

depending on your choice the advice would be a unit for plex or not

Return to “Media Streaming”