Streamer cannot locate music files from a QNAP NAS

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
Dorsetalex
New here

Streamer cannot locate music files from a QNAP NAS

Post by Dorsetalex »

I have just set up a TS-220 NAS with 2 WD red 2TB hard drives. This is replacing a TS-120 single bay NAS with a 1TB hard drive.
I copied my music collection (FLAC files) from and external hard dive into the Multimedia folder on the NAS.
I then opened my music streamer (Cambridge Audio 851N) to play some of the files. Unfortunately although the 851N found the NAS and the Multimedia folder, the only music files that it could see were two sample mp3 tracks that must have been made available within the Multimedia folder by QNAP when I was setting up the NAS.
I waited overnight and tried again with the same result.
Double clicking the NAS in Network locations on MY PC reveals three folders : Music, Photos and Videos. I opened the music folder and once again could only locate the two sample mp3 files.
I am able to access and play my FLAC files on my phone using the Qfile application.
Please can you kindly offer some advice as to what I've done wrong and how to rectify the situation?
I've booted up my old NAS and my 851N finds the music without a problem.
I'm very much a beginner so thank you for any help.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Streamer cannot locate music files from a QNAP NAS

Post by dolbyman »

I dont think sample mp3 are part of a setup

some screenshots of folders (file station) would help

if streamer and computer do not show the files..then it's not set up or populated right
Dorsetalex
New here

Post by Dorsetalex »

Please see attached screenshots:
Screenshot (2).png
Screenshot (1).png
Many thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dorsetalex
New here

Post by Dorsetalex »

I'm wondering if I messed up the initial setup of the NAS. I followed a Youtube tutorial which was fine until it mentioned Storage and Snapshots. This didn't show up on the desktop.
I used Storage Manager from Control Panel. This mirrored the two drives over the course of 5 hours or so.
Should I start again?
Would that involve taking out the disks, placing them in a drive case and reformatting them?
I'm very grateful for your help. I think perhaps I'm in over my head.
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (4).png
Kind regards
Alex
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

your nas are 10 years old and with no more support..you will not see snapshots (wrong tutorial used)

file station shows multimedia/samples. go one up..
Dorsetalex
New here

Post by Dorsetalex »

Screenshot (5).png
Thanks for your continued help
Dorsetalex
New here

Post by Dorsetalex »

Dolbyman, your comment about my using the wrong tutorial has resolved the problem. I found an older tutorial on Youtube specifically for the ts-220. It seems that I had set up the NAS 'reasonably' correctly but by enabling the DNLA app, all the files started to appear where they should. I'm now listening to Nora Jones having completed a lap of honour around the house.
Thank you so much or your assistance and patience.
Have a good weekend,
Alex
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

If you find the DLNA service too limiting in terms of sorting, tagging options then I would recommend trying the MinimServer package. It is what I use with my Naim streaming preamp.
Dorsetalex
New here

Post by Dorsetalex »

Spile, I'll have a look at MinimServer. Thank you.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”