QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
ramx2
Know my way around

Re: QNAP TS-453 Pro stuck on "SYSTEM BOOTING"

Post by ramx2 »

mozreactor wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:53 pm TP-451 (original, not "plus") for me. All HDD lights red; USB lights blue; LAN blinks if plugged in; no POST beeps; no video. 100ohm resistor across pins 1 and 8 (pin 10 had the same voltage also, so probably would have worked too) did the trick for me, thanks, so now I guess I need to save for a new box and hope it lasts that long.

Oddly, I was seeing a voltage of 2.47V across those pins and not the much lower voltage that sites were suggesting to expect. I almost didn't bother trying the resistor fix; so glad I went against my better judgement.
The one I checked also reported 2.47V on pin 1.. But I haven’t applied the resistor yet :)
QNAP TVS-672XT:
CPU: Intel Core I9-9900K, Turbo boost ON and cooled by passive copper heat sink.
RAM: 32GB x 2 Crucial DDR4 2666Mhz
GPU 1: EVGA RTX 3060
HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL Ultrastar® DC HC520 12TB x 6 | 7200 RPM | SATA 6Gb/s | PMR|
SSD: Lexar NVME 500GB for QTS
SSD: Intel Optane 500GB H10 for RAID Cache
PSU: Enhance Flex 600W ENP-7660B
gbai2021
First post

Post by gbai2021 »

First of all, thanks @yujungchang
I've tried with the 100 ohm resistor, but it did not work on my unit (QW37 Rev1.7).
After some testing I finally had success with a 130 ohm resistor instead.
It's a European unit, not sure if that makes any difference.
raidforsaving
Easy as a breeze

Post by raidforsaving »

Just to close this out from my perspective - There used to be lots of reports of random crashes of NAS's in the past. I now strongly believe that this was in part caused by this CPU bug. I have now gone ~3 months without a single crash. In addition, none of my drives have reported SMART issues nor have I had to rebuild any arrays. All of this was happening on the TS-651 with the buggy CPU. (no way did they actually find a code fix for this neverending issue)

Very interesting...
Model name: TS-653D
Firmware version: 4.5.3.1697 build 20210611
Volumes: EXT4, Encrypted volume
Previous: TS-651 dead by CPU bug
cfscy
New here

Post by cfscy »

My 453pro got the same problem with system booting.

At fitst the usb light is blue and HDD lights are red without hard disk installed, no beep and no output via HDMI, USB keyboard light has no answer.

I solder a 100Ohm risistor, the reboot 453 pro, the status light is green, USBlight is blue, and HDD lights is off without hard disks installed, but still has no output via HDMI, and keyboard no answer.

I just only have 100Ohm risistors, so I can get 50, 83,100,120,133,150,200 Ohms. I had tried all of them, still no beep and no keyboard light on, even HDD lights are red again.

Now I removed all risistor, the status and HDD lights were on, still no keyboard light on.

Everytime there was no beep anyway even HDD lights off.

I don't know how to fix it yet, anybody can rell me what I should do? I just want my 453 pro can be used normally.

By the way, the beep at boot is nessesary? I never hear beep during I fixing my 453 pro and I didn't notice whether beep before.
dmorris68
New here

Post by dmorris68 »

The resistor hack worked for my TS-851 also!

No soldering required either, I crimped a female Dupont pin to each leg of a 100ohm metal film resistor and used a 5x2 Dupont connector. So if I need to change resistor values I don't even need to dismount the motherboard -- just remove the lid, unplug the Dupont connector and replace the resistor.

Thanks for the tip!
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

I have a TS-453mini (TSMB-453 revision 4.0) with similar issues. I had a peek at the motherboard but it seems to be littered with just SMD scale components. There do not seem to be any open headers or anything looking like an LPC connector or soldering pads.

If there is anybody who has performed this workaround on this mobo and could they please indicate where I approximately on the board should be looking?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hey @forkless. :D

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
forkless
Experience counts

Post by forkless »

Heya!

It's been a while eh -)
Willy84
Starting out

Post by Willy84 »

two days with fan error, seems strange to me that both fans fails together, anyway today i just ordered the two replace fans. back to home i found my 653 PRO booting stuck.
Now ordered the 100 Ohm resistor to try to fix.
Let's see!
Mikedragoner
New here

Post by Mikedragoner »

Found my TS-453 Pro stuck on Booting but it never came up. Thats how I find it 5 days ago. Did not changed anything to remove the drives.

Now tried the 100 Ohm fix and voila ... started again as nothing has happened.

Thank you for your help.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

Now tried the 100 Ohm fix and voila ... started again as nothing has happened.
Do remember that this is not a permanent fix - it just gives you time to ensure all your data can be made safe while you work up another repository.
The electromigration activity that is the root cause in the Intel CPU will continue to progress, and will result in ultimate failure.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
Mikedragoner
New here

Post by Mikedragoner »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:41 am Do remember that this is not a permanent fix - it just gives you time to ensure all your data can be made safe while you work up another repository.
The electromigration activity that is the root cause in the Intel CPU will continue to progress, and will result in ultimate failure.
Yes thanks for your advice. I´ll keep that in my mind and prepare the next NAS for Migration soon. The most important for now was to backup all necessary data ... the permanent backup stops more than 1 year ago due to moving the whole equipment and I didn´t set up everything like before. :roll:

A very good hint to emphasize this again here.
Nounours18200
Starting out

Post by Nounours18200 »

I confirm that the 100 resistor fixed my problem on my QNAP TS-851 : congratulations to you guys.

I have made a diagram for the persons who do not clearly identify the pinout of the connector: https://www.threshold-lovers.com/downlo ... -everyone/

And I have uploaded a YouTube Video showing how i have installed the 100 ohms resistor without extracting the motherboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNKN55SFYos

Thank you to all the persons that have found this fix: this helps a lot of people like me !
The_Only_Viper
Starting out

Post by The_Only_Viper »

Friends, I'm in dire need of your wisdom.

I had the same problem a couple of days ago on my TS-251+. Today I was able to procure the tools and resistor to do the procedure; everything ran smooth. System began to rebuild the RAID upon boot and I left it there. An hour later or so, went to check the progress in the webpage and said that the device was disconected.

Here is where the trouble begins: went to check the device to my room, only to find it in a reboot loop (only LAN orange blinking and HDD1 green solid lights on). If I pull out the network cable and the disks, I get no lights at all, except for the brief green status light at the moment of the reboot.

If pull the resistor out, i go back to the blue/red lights. Trying a second resistor doesn't help.

P.S: I am using 100 ohm resistors

Any help is greatly appreciated!
The_Only_Viper
Starting out

Post by The_Only_Viper »

The_Only_Viper wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:46 pm Friends, I'm in dire need of your wisdom.

I had the same problem a couple of days ago on my TS-251+. Today I was able to procure the tools and resistor to do the procedure; everything ran smooth. System began to rebuild the RAID upon boot and I left it there. An hour later or so, went to check the progress in the webpage and said that the device was disconected.

Here is where the trouble begins: went to check the device to my room, only to find it in a reboot loop (only LAN orange blinking and HDD1 green solid lights on). If I pull out the network cable and the disks, I get no lights at all, except for the brief green status light at the moment of the reboot.

If pull the resistor out, i go back to the blue/red lights. Trying a second resistor doesn't help.

P.S: I am using 100 ohm resistors

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Update: Guess what? One of the RAM sticks decided to die, and that was the cause of the reboot loop.

Return to “Users' Corner”