Cant Access QNAP Remotely

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
japex
Know my way around

Cant Access QNAP Remotely

Post by japex »

Hi...

I hope to find some help here....

On saturday i was working (19/07/2021) normally and accessing files as usual on my QNAP and suddenly it stoped working and i couldnt save files or browse them.

So i tried to access WEBGUI to reset my QNAP and it was not responding.

So i went to the device fisically and none of the buttons was responding either.

On the LCD screen there was some caracters that was unreadble (print atthached) and with system unresponsive i shutdown using Power swicth.

After the forced reset, the system started to work normally, until now.

But after a few days i tried to access my files remotely, using VPN (VPN server on QNAP) with CloudLink and MyQnapCloud and i cant.

The connection does not work and when i open QTS webgui, it shows an alert about DNS server not able to resolve host so some apps might not work well.
Then i changed my DNS to try other but the message keeps showing.

So i tried to upgrade my firmware and i my qnap seemed to be without internet access. So i tried to open app store to verify the conection and it was not opening as well.
Then i manually downloaded the latest firmware and applied. After the reboot i was online again, but still without remote access.

CloudLink was offiline and it wasnt reconecting.
I removed CloudLink app and now i cant find it in app store to resinstall it.

I've tried all this DNS servers:
Cloudfare - 1.1.1.1 / 1.1.1.2
Google - 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4
Quad - 9.9.9.9 / 9.9.9.10

Can anyone help me?

Thanks a lot.
2021-07-17 - Erro Painel.jpeg
2021-07-19 - Erro CloudLink.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JapeX
---------------------
QNAP 559 Pro II
QNAP 859 Pro
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Cant Access QNAP Remotely

Post by dolbyman »

What QNAP model(s) are we talking about ? .. if the ones from your sig? Cloudlink has been discontinued for EOL NAS ..so not an option anymore

But why cloudlink AND VPN? Just go with VPN (put the server on a better suited device like router or raspi) and disable everything else. I hope you did not expose the NAS GUI directly (sounds like it)
japex
Know my way around

Post by japex »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 pm What QNAP model(s) are we talking about ? .. if the ones from your sig? Cloudlink has been discontinued for EOL NAS ..so not an option anymore

But why cloudlink AND VPN? Just go with VPN (put the server on a better suited device like router or raspi) and disable everything else. I hope you did not expose the NAS GUI directly (sounds like it)
Hi...

I'm running a 859Pro.
It used to have CloudLink. So i deleted it yesterday to reinstall and see if it works, but i wasnt able to reinstall it.

I'll try to setup VPN server on my router, but on QNAP it has been working for so many years... And now also would like to know if my QNAP has any problems.

The NAS GUI i also opened the port so i could access it remotely.... Is it to dangerous? I guess it is by your talk...
But im my logs there isnt any unknown login
JapeX
---------------------
QNAP 559 Pro II
QNAP 859 Pro
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As I said, cloudlink apparently had security flaws so old versions were disabled, new versions are only available for current QNAP units ... you would need to complain to QNAP .. they do not come here

See this link I just posted with current examples on how dangerous it is to expose your QTS login
viewtopic.php?f=313&t=162240#p795270
japex
Know my way around

Post by japex »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:42 am As I said, cloudlink apparently had security flaws so old versions were disabled, new versions are only available for current QNAP units ... you would need to complain to QNAP .. they do not come here

See this link I just posted with current examples on how dangerous it is to expose your QTS login
viewtopic.php?f=313&t=162240#p795270
Ok.. Thank you for your advice... I've just turned that off.

And what about my VPN..

In you opinion, is a better idea to use my router as VPN server then QNAP, right?

But what can i do to verify if my qnap has any problem.

I1ve attached the screen shot when the error code appears.

Tnx
Last edited by japex on Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JapeX
---------------------
QNAP 559 Pro II
QNAP 859 Pro
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP are so horrible in terms of security, that your router is probably much better .. so server on the router.

As soon as you have a VPN connection established, access will be like local (access via private IP e.g. 192.168.1.100)
japex
Know my way around

Post by japex »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:10 am QNAP are so horrible in terms of security, that your router is probably much better .. so server on the router.

As soon as you have a VPN connection established, access will be like local (access via private IP e.g. 192.168.1.100)
Thanks again... I'll try that.

Im using Ubiquiti USG as router.

I've attached the DNS error messagem im getting from QTS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JapeX
---------------------
QNAP 559 Pro II
QNAP 859 Pro
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

that error has been seen a couple of times..have you tried the forum search?

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”