error upgrading TS-453A NAS from 4tb to 6TB drives

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
woodmawa
New here

error upgrading TS-453A NAS from 4tb to 6TB drives

Post by woodmawa »

upgrading my nas storage, with brand new WD Red 6TB drives.

using the manage/one disk at a time to try and hot swap old to new disks

1st one wnet in last night and was rebuilt by this morning.

second one has failed as says is "not a member"
nas event log.PNG
disk 2 state.PNG
i'm now in degraded state, with one new drive, and failing 2nd new drive, and 2 older 4TB drives

1) is the error on the new drive fixable or is that just a return to sender and get replacement ?
2) can i take that failing second drive out - and try and switch to my next replacement drive or do i need to put the old drive back in and synch it back to normal first , before replacing again with a new drive

not quite sure how i am supposed to proceed after this unexpected failure on disk 2 with a brand new drive

----

I just removed that second drive and installed another new disk - and inserted that. Its also failed
second fail attempt.PNG
no information as to why it fails to create disk partitions. Thats two new 6tb disks failed now in the same slot. What am i supposed to do next ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: error upgrading TS-453A NAS from 4tb to 6TB drives

Post by dolbyman »

first make sure your external backups are up to date

then I would swap your second new disk in (for the problematic one) and do a test of the other with manufacturer tools (on an external computer)

I see the second drive failed as well...maybe contact support then..but make sure you backups are current
woodmawa
New here

Post by woodmawa »

back ups are ok. but i'm now left with

disk 1 - which i took out last night and did first swap for first new drive. Its come up this morning looking ok

second drive attempt - now appears to have failed on 2 brand new disks. I cant have the same problem on two brand new drives, so something is happening when i insert a new disk and wait for the rebuild to start.

i now have two failures on two new drives - that's £400 of failed drives in one morning. not good

so what do i do?

do i restart the NAS ? i dont wont to fit my last new drive as think it'll break that as well.

do i try and unload the second failed drive and try and replace with the original 4GB drive (that would be 1 new and then 3 old disks in 2,3,4 again ?

If i try and format one of the new harddrives first and install it then would that help? if so what format would you use.

At the moment i'm stuck. I have raised a ticket with support - but so far no response at all - and there is no chat either

If i reboot the nas and try the disk swap again with one of my new (but now erroring disks) will the nas try and fix it - or just say no?

this is an expensive area of experimentation with £200 disks I cant afford for this to keep buggering them up
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I doubt you are destroying the disks, it could be a software issue, raid sync issue or hardware issue of the NAS (backplane)
kxd
Starting out

Post by kxd »

I've done this several times over the years on both my QNAPs (TS-451A & TS-659Pro+). For no reason other than personal preference, I have always swapped brand new disks, out of packet, starting with Disk 1. Wait for the rebuild to complete and then next disk. Once all disks are finished you can then expand the array. IF a disk fails, I normally switch it out for another one of the new disks. Only happened once. I popped the dodgy disk into an external SATA harness, hooked it to my desktop/notebook and reformatted it as a vanilla ext4 or ntfs device. Then swapped it into the QNAP once all the other new disks had completed their rebuilds. it then went in and rebuilt correctly. Never had any more problems after the raid expansion had completed.

Other alternative if the formatting of the dodgy disk fails is to get it replaced by your supplier. In the meantime switch out the rest of the old disks and await the replacement.
woodmawa
New here

Post by woodmawa »

ok - so i have done what you suggested the new 6TB drives are fresh straight out of there packets. First one disk 1 went in ok, rebuild completed. second disk failed to partition. so after half a day i took that one out and took my next new 6tb from its packet and installed that - the same error occurred.

so i am now running 1 new disk 1 (6TB ok) - disk two slot wont work - 3, 4 are still on the older 4TB nas drives untouched.

I haven't dared yet to take either of the now reportedly failed drives and try and format them from PC to ext4 - slightgly nervous about warranty so trying to figure out why the nas keeps failing on disk slot 2. I now have two 6tb disks circa £400 on my table at home going what am i supposed to do. I have one unboxed 6TB drive to go - so i'm not going to stick that into slot 2 at this point for sure.

Cant quite a peek from support on the ticket so far - but did get a quick chat session last night - but he suggested i wait for uk support - which hasn't done anything since i raised the ticket about 13.00 UTC yesterday. now panicking a little as its raid 6 config and now one drive reduced. if i lose another now i'm in deep problems

I dont know what next best to do - would a reboot on the NAS help ? theres not enough info in the log as to why and where the partition failure happens from the admin screens
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Best to wait for qnap support
woodmawa
New here

Post by woodmawa »

yes - trying to do that now. wasnt as helpful as id hoped,

but i've now put the last disk into my windows pc and initailised and formatted it (that worked)

i'm doing a full backup of the 4tb nas into the 6tb single drive - then looks like i'm going to have send the two disks i cant reach back to ebuyer and try and sort that out

then we can see where we are
jasonwoerner
Starting out

Post by jasonwoerner »

To the original poster: I am facing the same situation and wonder if you resolved your problem.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

jasonwoerner wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:01 am To the original poster: I am facing the same situation and wonder if you resolved your problem.
If you care to look the Original poster has only ever posted 4 messages since last year all within 24hours or so.

why no post you issue in a new thread, perhaps someone here can help, and whilst you wait, raise a ticket with QNAP support.

give as much detail as possible in your new Thread. and make sure you have good backups before doing anything else.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”