TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
wongleslie
Starting out

Re: TVS-872XT dead after normal shutdown...

Post by wongleslie »

Here is a translation of the reply from the QNAP Taiwan headquarters after a brother inquired about the QNAP TVS-872XT failure. The reply from the headquarters has two points: ① When the TS-872XT crashes/unnormally restarts/cannot be turned on, QNAP will extend the warranty to three years. For example, when the warranty period of your machine is February 13, 2021, when you need warranty in the above situation, before February 14, 2022, it will be regarded as the warranty period. Handling; ② The reason why this model cannot be turned on is not the design defect of the motherboard, but the problem caused by the defect of the PCH chip.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

wongleslie wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:02 pm ② The reason why this model cannot be turned on is not the design defect of the motherboard, but the problem caused by the defect of the PCH chip.
So it's a defect but it's not causing the problem... :roll:
Anyway, the user couldn't care less if the cause is MB design or if it's a faulty component. Qnap is responsible towards the customer regardless of what the problem is!
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If that chip kicks the bucket on all these units, I still think faulty design is a likely culprit ..some part is run out of spec and gets fried over time.
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

Just wanna chuck in my buck here - unit operational totally solidly for about 22 months until earlier today, where it finally 'uped and died' on me after a normal shutdown to allow for a UPS firmware upgrade. Don't worry, ticket already in...
TVS-872XT-i5-16GB with 6*ST12000VNZ008 in RAID 6.
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
All protected by an APC SMT750VA UPS - protect your NAS from bad power!
Sendagi
First post

Post by Sendagi »

jacobite1 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:25 pm Just wanna chuck in my buck here - unit operational totally solidly for about 22 months until earlier today, where it finally 'uped and died' on me after a normal shutdown to allow for a UPS firmware upgrade. Don't worry, ticket already in...
What version is your motherboard? 22 months of use means it was unlikely the revised v1.7.
Jokii
First post

Post by Jokii »

Hi!

I have TVS-472XT. I bougth 2019.10.17. The system worked 2 years, and I lost the powersource, and after the uninterrupted power supply automatically shutdown of the NAS. After shutdown I can't power on again. I read in the topic, if I lost the warranty time, I can get fairness about this typical problem. Can help me somebody? Thanks!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Jokii wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:16 pm I have TVS-472XT. I bougth 2019.10.17. The system worked 2 years, and I lost the powersource, and after the uninterrupted power supply automatically shutdown of the NAS. After shutdown I can't power on again. I read in the topic, if I lost the warranty time, I can get fairness about this typical problem. Can help me somebody?
Yes Qnap support can, this forum can't.

Please contact Qnap support, refer them to this thread and ask for the one year motherboard warranty extension that many other users have been given. As far as I understand, that policy should have been communicated among all Qnap support representatives.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
eveares
Starting out

Post by eveares »

Long story short, my Qnap TVS-672XT died today! Purchased in December 2019.

Had a power cut, so gracefully shut down 672XT NAS to extend my UPS run time (was unaware of this issue at the time) what also powers my network infrastructure like switches and AP's.

When mains power came back, went to turn on NAS, would not turn on. Tried external reset switch, internal reset switch, taking all drives and internal M.2 SSD's out, taking thunderbolt expansion card out, taking out both 16GB RAM modules out (was purchased with 32GB RAM) and trying all sorts of permutations. Even tried a normal computer PSU in place of the standard internal PSU. I then found this thread.

Nothing works, it's like the NAS is completely dead.

What to I do? How much will it cost to fix (in UK)?

My set up is 5 x 6TB drives in RAID 6, 2 x 1TB M.2 SSD's as cache, and a 6TB drive a global hot spare.

Please help, my NAS is my main storage and I have had to fail back to my older TS-453A with one less drive in a degraded RAID 6 array.

Regards: Elliott.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Just read the thread...it's not that hard
eveares
Starting out

Post by eveares »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:25 am Just read the thread...it's not that hard
Thanks, I have raised a official support ticket, so hopefully they will repair or replace it.
vipula
Starting out

Post by vipula »

Adding my TVS-472XT to the list of those with a dead motherboard, red LED light.

Purchased from Amazon in Jul 2019 and QNAP Support are stating because it's out of the 2-year warranty, I need to pay USD450 (excl shipping) to get it serviced. I'm trying to escalate the matter.

Any recommendations from others that have gone through the same would be appreciated.
goodch1p
First post

Post by goodch1p »

Mine died too today. I bought it in May 2020. QNAP said just go buy another one until we can fix it in up to three weeks. This seems to be a very well documented and repetitious issue.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The issue itself is well documented, the cause/fix sadly not
jimc1152
Starting out

Post by jimc1152 »

Just a question......
After shutting down and removing the case cover. I plugged it back in and I saw the red light come on for about 15 seconds and shut off. It booted fine and ran without a problem. Purpose was to see if the unit ran cooler with the cover open.

Does the red led normally come on when started? Since I never started it with the case open I'm really not sure myself. Just wondering if I should be worried.
This is the 872X, not the XT with a Q21 serial number. I didn't note the Version number.

Thanks
old mike
Starting out

Post by old mike »

I'll join the group, my 672n died this morning,

It was behaving strangely over the last two days. it did not turn on per scheduled start two days ago, I pulled the mains power cord and re-applied then the unit powered up and ran fine until the next scheduled shutdown. the following day the unit powered up on schedule but 2 of the 6 HDD and the 2 cache SSD were shown as not installed, I did a reboot and everything was back to working condition. This morning the unit is completely dead.
I had requested and received a warranty extension last November. I just requested an RMA.

Return to “Miscellaneous”