OMG! downloading from FTP-server to QNAP is cr*p

Post your questions about BT download, FTP download, HTTP download, or QGet download software here.
erikthegreat2
First post

OMG! downloading from FTP-server to QNAP is cr*p

Post by erikthegreat2 »

Holy cr*p! OMG! I cant belive i have to write this.

The use-case is so simple and so common.
There is a FTP-server located externally somewhere. And i would like to download A LOT from it to my QNAP NAS (TS-251 running QTS 5).
FTP server exposed as ftps and sftp with credentials.
Using Filezilla on my local computer to download to my local computer, no problem at all. Smooth, fast, problem free.

Downloading directly to QNAP NAS. Not at all smooth...

First tought. Use Download Station.
But it doesnt work. Using ftp://server/path/to/folder, using ftp://server/path/to/file.xyz , using ftps doesnt work.
Why? Well i have no clue, there is NO debug information. It just says FAILED. :shock:

Ok so f*ck Download Station. Lets use QuFTP client instead.
So i try to add an external connection in QuFTP service: But instantly i get "Connection timed out", then i get "Could not add the external host. The system could not connect to the host or the host is not supported"
Omg. Are you kidding me QNAP? Really? How hard can it be? :shock:
quftp.png
Ok so lets try mounting the FTP server using Hybrid Mount then:
Yes finally, at least that works. Thank god!
So now trying to copy a folder from the FTP server to my local folder.
For a small folder (10 ish files, 50-60 GB of size), it did copy most of the stuff. Or did it? Because i get loads of warnings on the task.
For a medium folder (100 ish files, 1-2 TB of size), it copied for a while before the task FAILED. Why? I dont know there is no more information!
For a large folder (1000ish files, 8TB of size). It failed before it even started. Dont know why. Same reason as above.

So that did not work. Cant trust the downloads. I have no idea what has been copied and not. I cant manually double check every folder and file. :cry:

Now im copying from the FTP server to my local desktop using Filezilla. Smooth with no problem. But its pot ** anyoing because i can only copy 2TB at a time before my local HDD is full. Then i have to stop the download and manually copy over LAN using SMB to my QNAP. And then do the same for the next 2TB.
Its horrible. Its so bad i dont have words. :x

Sorry for this rant. But someone please give QNAP a kick in the *ss and tell them to fix this.
And if someone has some good advice then please do share!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: OMG! downloading from FTP-server to QNAP is cr*p

Post by FSC830 »

erikthegreat2 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:12 pm ...
Sorry for this rant. But someone please give QNAP a kick in the *ss and tell them to fix this.
And if someone has some good advice then please do share!
"Someone" is you! This is a community forum not monitored by QNAP!
So create a ticket and complain the issue, the forum is not useful for this!

BTW: I've got the same issue and found a solution at least at my end. Checking what is going wrong with FTP download to QNAP I found a directory with several 10.000 files and about nearly 1 GB (in total) size at FTP host.
Even in Filezilla the connections dies out. After setting connection timeout from default 30s up to 150s directory content could be loaded and downloaded with Filezilla.
But a connection timeout setting is only available in Filezilla, not in NAS :cry: .

Because this is only a test environment without any "use" I did not claim this at QNAP until now.

Regards

Return to “Download Station and QGet”