Files not deleted from Dropbox

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Timewarp
New here

Files not deleted from Dropbox

Post by Timewarp »

Hi

I've setup a two-way real-time sync to Dropbox from the QNAP on specific folders. Initially I was going to sync the whole of Dropbox but that kept erroring, however, I'm happy with the folder by folder approach, except that sometimes it does not remove files from Dropbox when they have been added to the NAS and later deleted?

Has anyone else experienced this? Annoying bug as I can never be sure everything is in sync properly.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Files not deleted from Dropbox

Post by FSC830 »

A two-way real time sync (I guess using HBS3) is IMHO a "bluff package". As far as I experienced there is no "real-time" sync, the lowest value for the sync is 5 minutes, this is far away from real-time!
Also the entry with the latest time stamp wins, this means if you modify a file at NAS (for what reasons ever) and at sync partner the file with latest time stamp will overwrite the previous version without any warning!
A sync software should know about the timestamp when editing was started and point to a conflict if this timestamp differs when saving the file.
Beside this quirks in my environment deletion of files succeeds when a file was deleted at one side of the sync, no matter if at NAS or at remote side. But I did not testing with Dropbox, just locally.

Regards
Timewarp
New here

Post by Timewarp »

Yes, HBS3 sorry.

Even hours later the folder and files created then deleted on the nas remain in Dropbox. The other stuff you mention I can live with now I'm aware, thanks!
Timewarp
New here

Post by Timewarp »

I'm wondering if I deleted it too quickly and this caused the timestamp confusion you mention.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

No, I guess that is not the problem.
What I did testing: Created a realtime sync from NAS A to NAS B.
Replication was in-sync, all files are identical.
Now I accessed a file from my PC A at NAS A, and accessed the same file from another PC B at NAS B. At both PCs modifications were done (deleting/adding text, change layout).
PC A saves the file, all is fine. Now PC B saves the file and the outcome is that all modifications from PC A are gone and the file contains all the modifications done at PC B.
So be aware that the "real-time" sync is not a collaborative software! At least my expectation was that when saving the file at PC B a pop-up occurs saying "file has been modified in meantime, overwrite?" or something else.
This does not happen, the latest time stamp wins without any notice. For that I do not like this real-time sync option!

Regards
Timewarp
New here

Post by Timewarp »

I understand.

I'm just wondering if the "last modified window" is not very granular to account for differences in time on different devices, therefore if I create then immediately delete, some files are then left on Dropbox.
Timewarp
New here

Post by Timewarp »

Here's a quick video: https://emalm.com/?v=sC1y_

On the left is the Dropbox web app, and on the right is the NAS over SMB,

As you can see, most of the time it gets it right. However, there appears to be some race condition where "Text File (4).txt" is left at the end.

Return to “Backup & Restore”