TS-209 and WD5000ABYS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
hLa
New here

TS-209 and WD5000ABYS

Post by hLa »

Hello,

got a (maybe dumb) RAID-related question for my first post!

I'm using an TS-209 with 2 WD5000ABYS Raid Edition Harddiscs from Western Digital!

Everything started fine with these drives but after installing the system with no errors the RAID signalizes that it is in degraded mode and i can't find any solution why!

I tried the Firmware Update which is suggested for these drives from WD and mine seem to have already the latest firmware.

Now i don't know how to solve this problem! Maybe somebody can give me a solution!

Best regards
hLa
hLa
New here

Post by hLa »

little addition to my problem!

i tried to do the suggested firmware update for this kind of WD HDD but i get a "not applicable" notice so i guess and i confirmed with WD that they already have the latest firmware!

So whats best to do? Change to Seagate Harddiscs?
fuzzy
Starting out

Post by fuzzy »

Hi hLa,

I have the same configuration without any disk problems (even spin down works fine). Have you tried the disk checks in 'device configuration'?

fuzzy
TS-209pro, Firmware 1.1.5 0128T, 2 x WD5000ABYS-01TNA12.0 in RAID-1, Services: MS networking, Mulitimedia Station, DL Station, Web Server, MySQL Server; Win2K/XP
hLa
New here

Post by hLa »

the interesting part is that since yesterday as a took another harddisc check from the webpanel!

TS-209 tells me that both harddrives have bad blocks! but the WD Diagnosis tool tells me something different!

what to do now?
QNAPRei
Been there, done that

Post by QNAPRei »

Hi hLa,

Sounds like there's HDD error. If you don't mind, we'd like to login your NAS to check the prob. Could you pls email us at q_support@qnap.com.tw?
Online Support Form: http://www.qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp
Support email: q_support@qnap.com.tw
MSN: q.support@hotmail.com
hLa
New here

Post by hLa »

QNAPRei wrote:Hi hLa,

Sounds like there's HDD error. If you don't mind, we'd like to login your NAS to check the prob. Could you pls email us at q_support@qnap.com.tw?
thanks for the suggestion but i already switched to Seagate Disks and i'll keep watching this! if theres the same problem with these disks i'll come back to you!

regards
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear hLa:
Here I also discussed with our engineers. Regarding the RAID failed (Status LED is turned to Red and system goes to degrade mode) due to bad block of hard disk reported by NAS system, below is for your information:

The bad block scan on Linux system will do the writing test and also compare the data accuracy seriously. It is even better than the work done by Windows system. You can trust the result reported by our NAS.

We also encountered the the similar issue of several newly purchased hard disks but also get failed before. For anyone encounter the similar issue I will suggest you to swap the hard disk with the vendor to ensure you get a more stable hard disk from your reseller.

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
donghoon.kim
Starting out

Re: TS-209 and WD5000ABYS

Post by donghoon.kim »

Please verify HDD to support in Ts-209.
hLa wrote:Hello,

I'm using an TS-209 with 2 WD5000ABYS Raid Edition Harddiscs from Western Digital!

Everything started fine with these drives but after installing the system with no errors the RAID signalizes that it is in degraded mode and i can't find any solution why!

I tried the Firmware Update which is suggested for these drives from WD and mine seem to have already the latest firmware.

Now i don't know how to solve this problem! Maybe somebody can give me a solution!

Best regards
hLa
donghoon.kim
Starting out

Post by donghoon.kim »

donghoon.kim wrote:Please verify HDD to support in Ts-209.
hLa wrote:Hello,

Best regards
hLa
badbandit
Starting out

Post by badbandit »

i have the same problem with my WD RE2 4000YR.

i just bought 4 of them and tried them all in the TS209 Pro. if i insert 2 and use them as single disks, there are no problems. as soon as i choose to build a raid1, at the end of building it, the light of the second disk is flashing and the infolight is green. if i do a reboot, the light for the second disk is not flahing, but the infolight is green.

as i said: i tried the same with all of the disks and i seriously doubt that 4 wd disks, which are built for servers, have so big problems, that they can't be used by the 209 pro.

i testet firmware 1.1.3, 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 (the one with the fix). erverytime the same.

has anyone a clue, what i could try to solve the problem?
QNAPIvan
Experience counts

Post by QNAPIvan »

Dear badbandit
Can you try to check the log (what's does log system say), and also try to perform the bad block scan?
There should be something abnormal to cause the read/write error that the system cannot build the RAID successfully.

Cheers,
USA Technical Support: +1 909 595 2782
badbandit
Starting out

Post by badbandit »

hi,

thanks for your answer. i will do a bad block scan, but i doubt, that it will help.

the log only tells me, that the raid is in degraded mode - that's all.

the raid1 itself seems to work. if i copy a file to the disks and the pull one of the disks, i still have access to the file.
badbandit
Starting out

Post by badbandit »

after the bad blocks scan i do not get any message. in the log i can only see the message "Bad Blocks Scan completed". nothing else...

does this mean, that everything is fine or do i have to look somewhere else (perhaps somewhere by ssh)?
neal
New here

Post by neal »

I have 2 500 gig RE2s and have not seen this issue on the current 1.1.5 firmware. QNAP officially supports these drives. Mine won't spin down though.

Have you considered running the WD TLDR tool? It will switch your drives to "non-raid" mode. (Or switch them back if they got messed up.) wdtldr.zip

Neal

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”