Photo management

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
mustard
Getting the hang of things

Photo management

Post by mustard »

So after updating MMC, I'm seeing the following error on boot:

Multimedia Console Database [Multimedia Console] Failed to repair database. Database is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Rebuild the multimedia content database in Multimedia Console > Index > Re-index.

As I understand it, re-indexing wipes out tags/facial tags, because QNAP in their wisdom haven't seen fit to allow a means to back these up. I'm assuming there's nothing I can do about this?

On a related note, has anyone discovered any cloud storage that offers the same functionality as Qumagie and Photostation? I can't find anything, which just seems crazy. My needs are:

Manual keyword tagging
Batch keyword tagging
Albums
Facial tagging
Ability to add tags where a face hasn't been identified
Ideally, smart albums that can pull in photos based on tags.
Poppy

Re: Photo management

Post by Poppy »

Does it actually work though?
I have seen one machine with the same error message which, even if you re-index and wait for indexing and thumbnail generation to complete, still reports the same error after a reboot.
Apparently previously the Video Station on this system was unable to update TV Shows from IMDB but both TMDB and TVDB worked fine...

It seems that now the error to re-index appears after every reboot AND whilst IMDB updates now function as expected neither TVDB nor TMDB will complete.
However, everything else seems to work fine despite the error.

Previous issues with updating from Internet databases were only resolved with a new update (although it was not mentioned in the update notes). Perhaps they have made a significant change from v1.X --> 2.0.0 and forgotten to update database consistency checker and so on.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

NAS model?
Firmware version?
Multimedia Console version?

Knowing these things may help us provide you with better answers :)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
mustard

Post by mustard »

Poppy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:36 am Does it actually work though?
I have seen one machine with the same error message which, even if you re-index and wait for indexing and thumbnail generation to complete, still reports the same error after a reboot.
Apparently previously the Video Station on this system was unable to update TV Shows from IMDB but both TMDB and TVDB worked fine...

It seems that now the error to re-index appears after every reboot AND whilst IMDB updates now function as expected neither TVDB nor TMDB will complete.
However, everything else seems to work fine despite the error.

Previous issues with updating from Internet databases were only resolved with a new update (although it was not mentioned in the update notes). Perhaps they have made a significant change from v1.X --> 2.0.0 and forgotten to update database consistency checker and so on.
I only need MMC for photo indexing. Which does raise the question of whether there's anything broken about the database that even matters to me - or as you say, whether re-indexing would even fix it. QNAP are now suggesting a manual update of MMC which I'll try when I'm at my desk.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Manual update to what version? From version 2.0.0?
Or just to reapply the same version that seems to give errors?

The patch notes for 2.0.0 are now available and there is a line under Enchancements which says:
- Upgraded the database to make data more secure and data queries faster.
mleenheer
New here

Post by mleenheer »

Adobe Lightroom Classic will write the keywords (including the "people" keywords from facial recognition) into the photos directly so it is saved in the metadata. There's a few missing parts here, but if you could use Adobe to do the tagging then any other software that can read and search image metadata could work even if it didn't have AI built in.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Well QNAP have pulled the Multimedia Console 2.0.0 and gone back to 1.6.2 as the latest version so clearly it caused a lot of hassle to a lot of people.
didbox
New here

Post by didbox »

Same issue with my QNAP TVS 471, firmware 5.0.0.2131: after each boot, I have the following error "[Multimedia Console] Failed to repair database. Database is corrupted and cannot be repaired. Rebuild the multimedia content database in Multimedia Console > Index > Re-index.". The error remains even if I re-index the database.

Please, fix it. Thank you.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

didbox wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:08 pm Please, fix it. Thank you.
This is a user forum. You need to contact qnap support to get anything fixed.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Mikelt
New here

Post by Mikelt »

I have been in touch with QNAP support on the same issue. I've been led to believe that my QNAP support contact has observed the MMC 2.0.0 issues described above, as in the corrupted DB that cannot be repaired, the missing tags, albums, and facial recognistion names. He advised me on the rollback, and both he and I found that the rollback failed. The quick appearance of MMC 2.0.1 whilst addressing the persistent issue of the corrupted DB error did not resolve the loss of facial names, tags, albums, favourites (etc.). I have declined the QNAP R&D request to remote connect to my QNAP directly, suggesting that this is a repeatable and widespread issue, which they could investigate on their own equipment. I await an answer as to why facial names, tags, albums, favourites (etc.) have been lost. It has happened to me on a previous upgrade some years ago and I too suspect re-indexing is the issue suggesting existing data is not retained.
I am looking for alternative solutions. If not another product then certainly tagging directly from within the meta data rather than from within QNAP. Maybe Lightroom as suggested above to update Metadata is a better way as I do happen to have this, albeit a slightly older version.

I look forward to hearing other people's ventures to mitigate this issue recurring on a subseqiuent upgrade of MMC or re-index.
mustard

Post by mustard »

Mikelt wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:29 pm I have been in touch with QNAP support on the same issue. I've been led to believe that my QNAP support contact has observed the MMC 2.0.0 issues described above, as in the corrupted DB that cannot be repaired, the missing tags, albums, and facial recognistion names. He advised me on the rollback, and both he and I found that the rollback failed. The quick appearance of MMC 2.0.1 whilst addressing the persistent issue of the corrupted DB error did not resolve the loss of facial names, tags, albums, favourites (etc.). I have declined the QNAP R&D request to remote connect to my QNAP directly, suggesting that this is a repeatable and widespread issue, which they could investigate on their own equipment. I await an answer as to why facial names, tags, albums, favourites (etc.) have been lost. It has happened to me on a previous upgrade some years ago and I too suspect re-indexing is the issue suggesting existing data is not retained.
I am looking for alternative solutions. If not another product then certainly tagging directly from within the meta data rather than from within QNAP. Maybe Lightroom as suggested above to update Metadata is a better way as I do happen to have this, albeit a slightly older version.

I look forward to hearing other people's ventures to mitigate this issue recurring on a subseqiuent upgrade of MMC or re-index.
I didn't experience any noticeable issues while this issue was present. Tags, faces, albums all present and correct. The next app update appeared before I was able to do a manual update. Since the MMC updated itself to the latest version, the error message hasn't recurred.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Mikelt wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:29 pm I await an answer as to why facial names, tags, albums, favourites (etc.) have been lost. It has happened to me on a previous upgrade some years ago and I too suspect re-indexing is the issue suggesting existing data is not retained.
If you performed a re-index without first backing up the Multimedia database then you have lost all of your facial names, tags, favourites etc.

A re-index basically deletes the database and creates a new one from scratch and it will repopulate it using details stored within the files themselves.
This may or may not include your chosen titles for music, video etc (you can edit the name shown by the QNAP apps - that will not be stored in the file but only in its own database)
It will definitely not include ratings for tracks, photos etc since they are per-user and only stored in the QNAP database that was just deleted.
It will definitely not include any facial names or tags presumably for the same reason - another user might name or tag differently and therefore these are not written to the file.

If you just waited for the 2.0.1 version without actually doing anything then everything you had before will be as expected and the annoying error message will have gone away.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”