Correct configuration with TVS-x72XT

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
zerohuit08
New here

Correct configuration with TVS-x72XT

Post by zerohuit08 »

Hi,

I'd like to have advice with my configuration on a TVS-x72XT. We use is to edit 4K videos RAW on 4 Mac Studio (2 in Thunderbolt and 2 in Ethernet).
In general, it's very fast and run correctly but sometimes everything slow down for couple of seconds or minutes and I don't know why.
So I'd like to know if you can confirm that my set-up is ok :

TVS-x72XT
Thunderbolt QXP-T32P
Ethernet Expansion card 10Gbe
2 x M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus for Acceleration cache
8 disk 14GB : ST14000NE0008

We have 2 Mac Studio connected on the 2 thunderbolt port of the NAS
We have 2 Mac Studio connected on a TP Link TL-SX1008
The TP Link TL-SX1008 is connected on the default Ethernet port of the NAS and also 2 others cables on the Ethernet Expansion Card

Speed is 628MBs in write and 1200MBs in read for Thunderbolt and 450Mbs in write and 975MBs in read for Ethernet.

I attached a couple of screenshot of the configuration.

Thanks !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Correct configuration with TVS-x72XT

Post by dolbyman »

Test without the cache .. generally un- or even counterproductive for sequential tasks like video editing (we have dozens of threads discussing the same topic)

If your NAS is a bit older (not manufactured within the last year or so) .. pay attention to this and prepare for failure

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=153097
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I am sorry that you have a TVS-872XT. It will probably die on you soon.
Four Mac Studios running into an 8 bay NAS system, all running full res 4K is really pushing the limits of what an 8 bay NAS can do. The eight drives in a single RAID group MAYBE have a total aggregate bandwidth of 1200 MB/sec TOTAL - and you are splitting this bandwidth among 4 different computers - all doing full res 4K video. Try running three of the systems with Proxy Media (I know - you don't want to create proxies) - and if you don't then buy a larger system with more drives. The M.2's are not going to help you.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
zerohuit08
New here

Post by zerohuit08 »

Hi Bob,

What do you recommend me ?

Thanks !
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

you mean instead of the TVS-872XT ? Anything else - TVS-h1288X is fantastic. The TVS-h874 is great and cheaper but you have to add 16 gig of RAM, and a 10G card.
the more drives you have running in a single RAID group - the more speed you will get. So a 12 bay like the TVS-h1688X or TS-h1886XU-RP will be faster. All great products.

Bob Zelin
sguser888
New here

Post by sguser888 »

Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:18 am I am sorry that you have a TVS-872XT. It will probably die on you soon.
How I hope I have read your post before I found my TVS-872XT dead this morning... Would have saved me the agony of having my NAS out of action till I sort out the RMA with Qnap Customer Service
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

2 weeks for the repair turnaround. All the TVS-872XT's die. They all die. Most people who make their living with this, simply buy a TVS-h874 or TVS-h1288X, and use this until their TVS-872XT comes back for repair. Then the drives go back in the 872XT. You buy new drives for the new QuTS QNAP, format in QuTS (ZFS), and transfer your data from the TVS-872XT to the new QNAP. Your TVS-872XT now becomes your backup system. Easy for me to talk - it's not my money.

Bob

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”