[PhotoStation] Are tags being read/written from/to .XMP files?

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
fmnap
New here

[PhotoStation] Are tags being read/written from/to .XMP files?

Post by fmnap »

Hi,
Can PhotoStation read/write tags from and to .XMP files used by other programs like Adobe Lightroom or DXO Photolab?

I see this has been requested as a feature as far back as 2014 but I can't see whether it has been implemented or not.

Thanks
Theliel
Know my way around

Re: [PhotoStation] Are tags being read/written from/to .XMP files?

Post by Theliel »

Neither QuMagie nor PhotoStation write/read metadata in sidecar files. All changes made by QuM/PS are at the level of the database it maintains, the original files are not modified in any way, and this is certainly not bad news, imagine what could happen with a bug.

However, QuM/PS CAN READ (not write) the metadata embedded in the file itself, which are much better in my opinion.

In my particular case, all the management of my immense library is done with Digikam (face recognition, tags, dating, ordering, geolocation...), and QuM/PS recognizes everything perfectly, and updates the internal database in real time with that. The only thing that it doesn't do ideally is that the facial regions are not recognized as such, and are counted only as standard tags, but it's something minor, I simply use the "tags" section on them as if it were the "people" section .

Greetings.
toratata
New here

Post by toratata »

Theliel wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:56 am In my particular case, all the management of my immense library is done with Digikam
I'm considering the same usecase!
But I set digikam to write metadata to .xmp files. So I thought the modification of dates and captions and rates that I've made so far are all in the .xmp files, am I right?Is there a way to write thoese modified metadata from .xmp files back to picture files?
TS-464C, TS-212P3.
Theliel
Know my way around

Post by Theliel »

toratata wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:34 pm
Theliel wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 2:56 am In my particular case, all the management of my immense library is done with Digikam
I'm considering the same usecase!
But I set digikam to write metadata to .xmp files. So I thought the modification of dates and captions and rates that I've made so far are all in the .xmp files, am I right?Is there a way to write thoese modified metadata from .xmp files back to picture files?
In Digikam you can configure as you want both reading and writing sidecar files. It would be as simple as refreshing the library by rereading the sidecar data, and configuring Digikam to write to the file's own metadata (or both, the sidecar and the metadata).

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”