How to select which drive on Nas where qsync is stored

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
jblongz
Starting out

How to select which drive on Nas where qsync is stored

Post by jblongz »

Sorry to resurrect, but the consensus on the OP's question is quite disturbing as I'm looking for a similar solution.

Let's say Qsync is using my 4TB drive and I want to replace it with a new 8TB drive. How do I achieve this efficiently?
NAS: TS-453BT3 | FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 | OS: 2x 1TB M.2 Raid 1|Data: 4x 4TB SSD (Non-Raid) | Backup: External 18TB HDD
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to select which drive on Nas where qsync is stored

Post by dolbyman »

Topic split from 7 year necropost here
viewtopic.php?t=108988&start=15

Most effectively you would use RAID in your NAS, so drive upgrades and replacements do not pose a problem
jblongz
Starting out

Post by jblongz »

I was just about to delete my post because I realized the features were quite different then. Now we can use Qsync Central assign any share as a Qsync destination and thus move data and sync destinations to different disks/volumes accordingly...unless some there's some caveat I'm missing. I don't use raid for data volumes because it's all precious SSD storage (4 slots) and backed up externally.
Last edited by jblongz on Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NAS: TS-453BT3 | FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 | OS: 2x 1TB M.2 Raid 1|Data: 4x 4TB SSD (Non-Raid) | Backup: External 18TB HDD
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

You can move the data using Qsync or HBS3 (which is the app designed for Backup/Sync), but you cant backup the system settings and configuration.
So at least when replacing the drive which contains the system volume you need to start from scratch.

Regards
jblongz
Starting out

Post by jblongz »

I'm not doing any Qsync operations on the system drive. I leave that pool as untouched as possible. As for my static volumes and HB3, I'm familiar with using sync jobs to move network shares (append original name with "_old" and copy to new location).

I'm trying to think ahead if Qsync can get confused since files may have new created/modified dates in the new location and assume that files need to be overwritten everywhere else. Any insight on this? For now I'm assuming that paired folder settings in the Qnap client will need to be deleted on every client machine before moving to new locations, and reconfigured after.

Return to “Backup & Restore”