Help with TVS-h1288X initial setup

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
bobhof
Starting out

Re: Help with TVS-h1288X initial setup

Post by bobhof »

dolbyman wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:46 pm No idea..best to contact support for this
Thanks. In case anyone else is interested, support says I can't connect a USB expansion unit via the TB ports.
thamaddoktor
Starting out

Post by thamaddoktor »

Bob Zelin wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:21 am
just pop in 2 SSD's in slots 1 and 2, and make that your QuTS installation. Then use all the drive bays for your video media.

Bob Zelin
Bob, Thank you for this info! I have been trying to figure this out for so long and you made it simple. I purchased a TVS h1688x.

I am going to follow your advice and get two WD 1TB SSDs and set them up at the QuTS system pool and leave my other 8 - 16TB WD Reds as storage pools.

Quick questions -
1) For the 2 - 1 TB SSDs used as the QuTS storage pool - assuming I make those Raid 1?
2) For the 8 - 16TB HHDs used as the storage pools - since I will only be using this to stream videos on plex - do I need thin or thick provisioning? If either is suggested, what % should I hold for provisioning?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Steve Popp
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

1) yes
2) doesn't matter, I have some thick and some thin provisioned on my 1288X (wanted to try out both) ..just make sure you do not overprovision and end up exceeding actual capacity of the pool
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

storage pool 1 with 2 SSD's - RAID 1
storage pool 2 with your 8 drives - I do RAID 6, no overprovisioning (you don't overprovision SATA drives) and shared folders are thin provisioned. That's what I do.

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
thamaddoktor
Starting out

Post by thamaddoktor »

Thank you both! I truly appreciate your advice and knowledge. Cheers and Happy New Year!
thamaddoktor
Starting out

Post by thamaddoktor »

Bob Zelin wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:16 am storage pool 1 with 2 SSD's - RAID 1
storage pool 2 with your 8 drives - I do RAID 6, no overprovisioning (you don't overprovision SATA drives) and shared folders are thin provisioned. That's what I do.

Bob
Bob, looking for your advice one more time. I am finally home and was getting ready to sign into my NAS and ad my new drives and get moving.

I am locked out of my NAS. I can sign into my QNAP account, but when I try to log into my NAS to configure the new drive set up, it says authorization failure.

I tried to do a physical reset on the back of the device, holding the reset for 3 seconds. I heard it beep. I then used the username admin and it's correpsonding MAC address.

Still not allowing me in. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Steve
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The error message after the 3 second reset is stilll "authorization failure"?
thamaddoktor
Starting out

Post by thamaddoktor »

Thanks for the reply. I tried the reset one more time yesterday and it reset properly. So just for everyone reading this, hold the reset on the back on the NAS for 3 seconds until it beeps. Once the reset has occured, your username and password to access your NAS has been reset. The username is: admin. The password is: (Your NAS MAC Address with no hyphens) Your can find your MAC address using Qnap finder pro.

Thanks for the help!

CHeers
Steve
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

I am setting up the exact same machine, for a Qsync-PersonalCloud-FileSharing-PLEX server here at my music production studio - and I can confirm that QNAP did indeed tell me the same thing (use your NVMe for the OS, use 2 or 4 SSD as your data cache, use 8X HDD for Data pool).

But I agree that Bob's setup (using 2X SSD in the front bay, using NVMe to "play" with cache) makes a lot more practical sense - and also, if you just wanted to use *one* NVMe to cut costs, it's no big deal if it fails, as it is only your read-write cache.

Thanks for the alternate viewpoint, Bob!
Bob Zelin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:12 am I become exhausted with these posts. No one does any research. No matter how much I post.
Get two cheap SSD's. Make that your QuTS OS. That is storage pool 1. Make Storage Pool 2 your 8 drives. Got those M.2 NVM'es ? You can "play with this " as your cache, or just use them as Storage Pool 3 as a dedicated RAID 0 volume.

Bob
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hello Tim -
#1 - I have very limited knowledge with many QNAP applications, like Qsync, or Plex server. I build systems for professional video post production. And I have done many systems for Pro Tools audio users.

Here is my advice. SSD drives are slow - they don't belong in caching for many high speed applications. Two NVMe drives are dramatically faster than four SSD drives in a single RAID group. I can tell you that caching does very little for a normal video editing session, and a normal Pro Tools session, but when you need to search thru 200,000 sound effects files from a sound library, or 200,000 from a photo library, all of a sudden, NVMe caching becomes important. What will SSD caching do for these applications ? Absolutely nothing. How do I know ? Because I lived thru this crap.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
bobhof
Starting out

Post by bobhof »

Hi Guys. I've finally gotten round to purchasing the Qnap thunderbolt to 10gbe adapter, but I'm struggling to configure it. When I connect directly to the NAS (Macbook -> TB to 10gbe -> NAS) the NAS appears in Qfinder and it says 10g, but I cannot mount the network drives or log in via my web browser. Do I need to configure the adapter with a static IP? I have upped the MTU size as recommended. Thanks.
bobhof
Starting out

Post by bobhof »

I've tried setting up a static IP on the Mac and on the NAS (From https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... ction-test: The IP address/Submask/Gateway should be 169.254.100.99 /255.255.0.0/Leave_Empty). I set the NAS to 169.254.100.99 and the Mac to 169.254.100.100. The 10g connection still appears in Qfinder but the connection still times out.
bobhof
Starting out

Post by bobhof »

I have tried the steps outlined by Mr Zelin here: viewtopic.php?t=156591

Still seeing the NAS in Qfinder but not able to connect or ping it.
bobhof
Starting out

Post by bobhof »

I think I'm sorted. Looks like the problem was Qufirewall.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

As always (And people wonder why I advise to uninstall that thing)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”