BEWARE - HBS 3 Sync might be incomplete without any notice

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
markv20
New here

BEWARE - HBS 3 Sync might be incomplete without any notice

Post by markv20 »

Hi Community,

just wanted to let you know that I unfortunately recognized by accident that HBS 3 Sync to OneDrive was incomplete (potentially since months) without any notice.

What happened?
  1. There was an abnormal system shutdown happening during an ongoing sync
    (Such random reboots themselves are absolutely annoying and unacceptable for a NAS - but different story
    I hope this improves with the new NAS that has higher performance)

Code: Select all

Failed to complete Sync job: "mark-home-enc". Abnormal NAS shutdown caused the metadata database to crash. Delete and recreate this job.. Check logs for more information.
  2. Afterwards database was corrupted. At first, it told me I need to delete and re-create the Sync job (would have been very annoying).

[Hybrid Backup Sync] Failed to complete Sync job: "mark-home-enc". Abnormal NAS shutdown caused the metadata database to crash. Delete and recreate this job.
  3. However, at the 2nd try it worked and database obviously was re-created.

[Hybrid Backup Sync] Sync job "mark-home-enc": The sync database is corrupted due to a bad sector or abnormal shutdown. Rebuilding the database may take a while.
As part of that re-sync, 1.51 GB additional files got uploaded to OneDrive for the first time!! These are files that are on the NAS since months, but obviously got missed, skipped&forgotten, or whatever.
All Syncs before used to be successfully completed without any skipped or filtered files.
Without that unfortunate database corruption, I would have never recognized that Sync (i.e., Offsite Backup) was incomplete,
which IMHO is unacceptable for a Hybrid BACKUP Solution.

-> Have others experienced similar issues?

-> Is there any way to trigger full re-check/sync of the sync jobs?
1:1 checks between local and remote files are difficult, since I use client-side encryption
(However, the files and folder structures/names themselves would have shown the missing once, but regarding contents (or missed syncs of changed files, you do not easily see it))

-> How could we trust the Backup Jobs, if such things happen and could remain unrecognized?
diwiwi
Easy as a breeze

Re: BEWARE - HBS 3 Sync might be incomplete without any notice

Post by diwiwi »

markv20 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:19 am
As part of that re-sync, 1.51 GB additional files got uploaded to OneDrive for the first time!! These are files that are on the NAS since months, but obviously got missed, skipped&forgotten, or whatever.
All Syncs before used to be successfully completed without any skipped or filtered files.
Without that unfortunate database corruption, I would have never recognized that Sync (i.e., Offsite Backup) was incomplete,
which IMHO is unacceptable for a Hybrid BACKUP Solution.
Hmm it's kinda up to you to check if the files are effectively backed-up..

That said, if you think that it is not working as expected, you should contact QNAP support.

-

Return to “Backup & Restore”