[HOW TO] Recover no beep / dead Intel based Qnap x53/x51 (2014~2016?)

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
adetogni
Getting the hang of things

Re: [HOW TO] Recover no beep / dead Intel based Qnap x53/x51 (2014~2016?)

Post by adetogni »

nonkelsue2 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:16 am
dolbyman wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:55 am Depends on what mode the multi meter is in, are you testing continuity,resistance,?
This is the setup where the fan starts to spin for a short amount of time.
I see the red (positive) connected, but where is the black connected to?
nonkelsue2
Starting out

Post by nonkelsue2 »

adetogni wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:59 pm I see the red (positive) connected, but where is the black connected to?
It is not connected at all.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

So what are you measuring then? (I thought it was connected to board ground somewhere)
nonkelsue2
Starting out

Post by nonkelsue2 »

adetogni wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:29 pm 121/151/181 are just the resistance that my shop had in house, they're not specifically recommended. What has been suggested to me was to try with a higher resistance.
Some shop provided me this resistor (I ordered a 100 Ohm one...). However, if I check the color coding, this is a 39 KΩ ±5% resistor, which may be way above what I need right? So trying a higher resistor is one thing, however I think this will not work neither as this is a too high value, no? Or am I overlooking something?

NS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nonkelsue2
Starting out

Post by nonkelsue2 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:23 am So what are you measuring then? (I thought it was connected to board ground somewhere)
Not specifically measuring something, just an observation. And wondering if this would mean that the motherboard is not dead yet, and that searching for a solution still makes sense.
Intuition tells me this is the case, although what I tried so far with the resistors was not successful. So I fear something else died (perhaps overheated?).

NS
adetogni

Post by adetogni »

nonkelsue2 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:32 am
adetogni wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:29 pm 121/151/181 are just the resistance that my shop had in house, they're not specifically recommended. What has been suggested to me was to try with a higher resistance.
Some shop provided me this resistor (I ordered a 100 Ohm one...). However, if I check the color coding, this is a 39 KΩ ±5% resistor, which may be way above what I need right? So trying a higher resistor is one thing, however I think this will not work neither as this is a too high value, no? Or am I overlooking something?

NS
I came on this post too and, as you, found that the needed resistance is 100 Ohm. Despite knowing the basics of electronics, I honestly don't know how much is "higher enough"....
adetogni

Post by adetogni »

nonkelsue2 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:02 am
dolbyman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:23 am So what are you measuring then? (I thought it was connected to board ground somewhere)
Not specifically measuring something, just an observation. And wondering if this would mean that the motherboard is not dead yet, and that searching for a solution still makes sense.
Intuition tells me this is the case, although what I tried so far with the resistors was not successful. So I fear something else died (perhaps overheated?).

NS
You can't measure without putting the black pin somewhere. Anything you might have seen on display with the black not connected does not mean anything. Have you tried my solution with longer cables?
nonkelsue2
Starting out

Post by nonkelsue2 »

adetogni wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:40 am You can't measure without putting the black pin somewhere. Anything you might have seen on display with the black not connected does not mean anything. Have you tried my solution with longer cables?
I know, but like I said already, I did not had the intention to measure something, I just observed that the fan started to spin by touching the motherboard on different locations with any of the two pins. But it seems that you guys think this is no big deal and rather normal, so I believe we can close that topic for now.

I have not tried your long cables solution yet, and might give it a try during the weekend to see if it allows to get the system to boot. I also would like to try with another resistor, but will have to go out and find some highervalue ones to try with as I don't have any other lying around for the moment.

Meanwhile, I bought myself another QNAP (TS-473A) and beefed it up with max RAM (64GB) and 2 M2 SSDs of 250GB each for caching. This will at least allow me to resume my services and rebuild everything and get it up and running again. Fingers crossed. ;-)

NS
adetogni

Post by adetogni »

nonkelsue2 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:42 pm
Meanwhile, I bought myself another QNAP (TS-473A) and beefed it up with max RAM (64GB) and 2 M2 SSDs of 250GB each for caching. This will at least allow me to resume my services and rebuild everything and get it up and running again. Fingers crossed. ;-)

NS
That's one beast of a Nas, congrats
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Forget about the cache though..unless you do heavy IO stuff like VMs or databases..cache will slow you down
nonkelsue2
Starting out

Post by nonkelsue2 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:20 pm Forget about the cache though..unless you do heavy IO stuff like VMs or databases..cache will slow you down
Thanks for the advice. I indeed intended to test a bit with VMs and compare it with my Proxmox setup. So that cache would serve well for that I think.

I noticed that 1 out of the 4 4TB disks from my previous system was stone dead, and I replaced it meanwhile with another one. However, I first added the 2 SSDs and the additional RAM before launching the rebuilding of the RAID 5. Weirdly enough, one of the 250GB SSDs got caught into the raid group (seems like this went automatically, I guess the system saw it as the replacement disk for the one that died), and I can't seem to get it out of the raid group anymore. As a result, I was not able to create another raid group for my cache as only one remaining SSD was found and ready to be used for the cache. I am not trying to figure out how I can get that SSD out of that raid group again without... having to rebuild everything from scratch again. <sigh> So the challenges continue... ;-)

NS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No idea how that disk was used as a spare..size wont fit that job
nonkelsue2
Starting out

Post by nonkelsue2 »

dolbyman wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:09 am No idea how that disk was used as a spare..size wont fit that job
Found a way to get that SSD out of my RAID Group 1 (RAID 5) and add it to RAID Group 2 (RAID 1).
At least one problem solved. ;-)

NS
Tmonster
New here

Post by Tmonster »

Another TS-451+ unit revived!
Checking in to thank everyone for their expertise and trials that have resulted in this now well-established fix. The 100-ohm resistor worked perfectly for me. The only issue was having to wait 3 or 4 days to get my hands on one. Everything was fine for...6 or so years?...then suddenly kaput. Long beep, fan to max then it shut down with a 'system fan 1 failed' email notification. No beeps, no drive lights on restart - like so many of the posts I've read.
It's been the heart of our home network and I've enjoyed the variety of things we can do with it.
So hopefully when the new TS-464-4G gets here next week I can just swap the drives over and pickup where we left off.
Thank you so much.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Yes you can (google: "QNAP migration") and don't forget the backups, as RAID is NOT a backup!

Return to “Users' Corner”