File download with resume function

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
deltarom
New here

File download with resume function

Post by deltarom »

Hi, I have to share large files from my qnap to clients. But when they download large files and if it stop downloading in between there is no option to resume download. Have to start download from beginning. Is there any way that can share files with resume download function. Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: File download with resume function

Post by dolbyman »

Please stop this asap!

Remove port forwards and disable upnp (both on your router)

What you are doing has already costs millions in ransom (deadbolt ransom attack alone)

viewtopic.php?p=846613

If you want to share files to clients, use dropbox, onedrive,etc
deltarom
New here

Post by deltarom »

Im sharing using create share link with password (https), and the default share is max 3 days, normally I delete all the share after download in client pc.
deltarom
New here

Post by deltarom »

an example
Screenshot 2023-06-10 195336.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Hackers/ransomware do not need 3 days to get control! This is not a protection anyway, if you got hit, few minutes are sufficient to loose the data.
But its your data, your decision.
At least you should have a very good backup plan.

Regards
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Forget about Link Expiry timers
The NAS is exposed ALL the time..not only when links are active...
jblongz
Starting out

Post by jblongz »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I keep getting the consensus on this forum that QNAP NAS is not intended for WAN access, but for multiple computers on the same LAN. So most of the WAN features are just there for fluff? There is no proven WAN access method that is secure and easy for intended recipients of our NAS data?

I've tried WireGuard VPN Server/Client solutions at the router level, but its a pain to configure VPN clients for my clients. As for DropBox, OneDrive, etc, I got the NAS to get around their limitations.

What about using Mac Address level permissions? Yes, I know that Mac Addresses can be spoofed, but its harder to guess which 10 out of a billion I'm allowing, in combination with username/password. Forgive me for being naive. I am still learning and experimenting with hope of a decent solution.
NAS: TS-453BT3 | FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 | OS: 2x 1TB M.2 Raid 1|Data: 4x 4TB SSD (Non-Raid) | Backup: External 18TB HDD
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

WAN access has cost millions of bucks in ransom payments over the last few years (half a dozen different malware attacks), so you can take a guess if WAN access is a good idea (spoiler: it's not)

MAC address filtering from WAN does not work (lookup NAT)

A NAS is not a WAN device, so if you got a NAS as a WAN device, you got the wrong device !
jblongz
Starting out

Post by jblongz »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:19 am A NAS is not a WAN device, so if you got a NAS as a WAN device, you got the wrong device !
Thanks for stating that concisely, because a lot of marketing suggests the opposite when referencing compatibility with cloud services, Plex Media Server, DDNS, etc. Perhaps that quote should be the a prominent sticky in the forum.
NAS: TS-453BT3 | FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 | OS: 2x 1TB M.2 Raid 1|Data: 4x 4TB SSD (Non-Raid) | Backup: External 18TB HDD
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I CAN'T sticky comments, just topics

With all the horrendous bad press, QNAP has backpaddled a bit, not advertising all NAS as "private Cloud" and (currently) discourages any public exposure (see security advisories)
jblongz
Starting out

Post by jblongz »

This page makes internet exposure seem like a viable option.
https://www.qnap.com/en/software/qvpn-service
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

This only exposes a VPN service..so all communication has to be via authorized accounts and certificates (vpn client)

While I would not use a VPN platform by QNAP, this would NOT be "exposure"

Return to “File Sharing”