I wanted to share a quick solution I discovered for missing thumbnails (poster and background) on Plex. This workaround involves a simple adjustment and renaming process on your QNAP server. Before you begin, note that the firmware version of QNAP is QTS 126.96.36.1993, and the Plex Media Server version is V1.30.0 (2023/02/07). Now, follow the steps below:
- Open Plex and identify the missing thumbnails.
Adjust the size to match six photos across for better visibility.
- Open the QNAP server, and locate the path to [filename or folder name].
Choose the "View" menu and select "Sort By" [Name]. If necessary, repeat this step.
Adjust the size to match six folders across and apply to all folders and filenames.
- Examine the photos in Plex to identify which ones have missing thumbnails and note the filenames or folder name.
Add a "Z" at the end of the filename or folder name on the QNAP server (not Plex itself).
- Wait for the scanning process to finish. The duration depends on the size of the photos inside the folder. You'll see a scanning circle until it stops, and the thumbnails should appear in Plex.
- Remove the "Z" from the filename or folder name on the QNAP server (not Plex itself).
Again, wait for the scanning process to complete, indicated by the scanning circle.
This serves as a short-term solution, and the cause of the issue may be a conflict between Plex software and QNAP server software. I hope this helps you resolve missing thumbnails on your Plex setup.
Feel free to share your thoughts or any additional insights.