QNAP Domain Controller - multiple files and folders created

Questions about using Windows AD service.
gaparagorn
New here

QNAP Domain Controller - multiple files and folders created

Post by gaparagorn »

I've encountered this behavior when running Domain Controller on QNAP.

Adding domain users and joining workstations to domain went without issues. However, when logged in onto a Windows workstation with a domain username, then accessing a shared folder on QNAP for which the same domain user has Read/Write permissions, an attempt to create a new folder within the share results with 4 (four!) copies of a generic "New folder" being created. A dialog to enter the folder name does not show, clicking on "New folder" in Windows Explorer immediately results with 4 folders appearing in the shared folder.
Selection_1057.png
A similar issue occurs when on the shared folder a group permission is added for Read/Write. When the shared folder is accessed with a domain user within the group with permissions, an attempt to create a new folder or file results with 4 (four!) copies of a generic "New folder" or "New text document.txt" being created. Again without the dialog to actually name the new folder or file, they just appear in the shared folder.

I've tried changing domains groups to which the domain user belongs, but there was no difference.

QNAP runs QTS 5.1.2.2533 Build 20230926.

Has anyone had this issue, is it a (permission) misconfiguration?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gaparagorn
New here

Re: QNAP Domain Controller - multiple files and folders created

Post by gaparagorn »

I've confirmed the same behavior on three different QNAP models, TS-431P, TS-1273U and TS-873AeU. All running the same QTS 5.1.2.2533 version. This looks like an OS / system bug, but I am not excluding the possibility that I am doing something wrong.

Is anyone running QNAP as a Domain Controller with shared folders, does it work for you without glitches?
[XP1]
Starting out

Post by [XP1] »

Yea, I had the same "New Folder (4)" issue.

I removed each group from the permissions until it succeeded. It is caused by having a read-only user/group. The read-only user/group overrides the write permissions of the other groups. Could be a bug. Don't think it happened on old QTS versions before.

The local admin account works fine. The domain admin has the bug.

As a workaround, I just enabled "Special Permissions" for the write groups. This gives admin privileges to the write groups. This works for my public Share folder, which is admin write only and everyone else read only.
[XP1]
Starting out

Post by [XP1] »

It was indeed a bug in QTS 5.1.2.2533 build 20230926.

Updated to latest QTS. Bug is gone, so I have disabled "Special Permissions" now.

Fix in QTS 5.1.3.2578 build 20231110:
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/release-note ... 8/20231110

"The system now no longer creates multiple folders when a domain user creates a single folder via SMB."

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”