qsnap ts-439 pro 2 loses connection on large files

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
fjb59
New here

qsnap ts-439 pro 2 loses connection on large files

Post by fjb59 »

transferring a large quantity of small files takes a long time on this. transferring large files via ethernnet hangs the qsnap so only a reboot will fix it. i tried zipping many small files nnto a singl large file. a mannaged to copy it via plugging in a usb drive into the qnsap and copying it from there. that worked but tranferrinng said file via ethernet hangs the qsnap. i attempt to unzip the large file on the qsnap using the file manager and it hangs the system. the lcd on the qsnap doesn't reprot any high temperatures or other problems. my old cheap buffalo could handle large data a lot better. is this qsnap an expensive peice of garbage is is it a firmware bug which i hop the developers are fixing as we speak?
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: qsnap ts-439 pro 2 loses connection on large files

Post by dosborne »

Maybe something in here will help
viewtopic.php?t=171959

(Also posting your firmware version, speed of connection (not just "ethernet"), any infrastructure (switchs, hubs, router) that is connected......would be useful)

What are you transferring from? A PC, A MAC? Have you tried a direct connection?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
fjb59
New here

Post by fjb59 »

dosborne wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:06 pm Maybe something in here will help
viewtopic.php?t=171959

(Also posting your firmware version, speed of connection (not just "ethernet"), any infrastructure (switchs, hubs, router) that is connected......would be useful)

What are you transferring from? A PC, A MAC? Have you tried a direct connection?
the nas is connected to a router directly via ethernet. the computers of which there are two are connected to the router via wifi. on e laptop is linux, the other is a macbook.

firmware 4.2.6
I strongly suspect the media service was eating up most of the cpu as status reported cpu usage as high even when nothing was apparently happening. howeve the box shoul have simply abandoned tassks rather than hanging the system. it wasn't just file transfer that wa the problem, it was anything to do with handling big files. it would hang the system completely. no web interface, no ssh. nothing. yet nothing would show up on the log files.
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

the nas is connected to a router directly via ethernet. the computers of which there are two are connected to the router via wifi. on e laptop is linux, the other is a macbook.
The router and it's WiFi capability may have a part to play in the problem.
Some router models struggle to handle high volumes of traffic across their ethernet ports. Video streams from IP CCTV cameras can also be a source of similar problems, especially when the traffic is via WiFi, which doesn't cope well with continuous high traffic levels.
Suggestion :
Assuming the NAS has a static IP address, give the laptop a static IP address in the same range, and connect it directly to the ethernet port on the NAS that was connected to the router.
Re-try the large file transfer and see how it goes.

Alternatively, if you have an ethernet switch in your network, connect both the NAS and the laptop to the switch and re-test the file transfer, removing the router from the traffic path.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.
fjb59
New here

Post by fjb59 »

AlastairStevenson wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:59 pm
The router and it's WiFi capability may have a part to play in the problem.
Some router models struggle to handle high volumes of traffic across their ethernet ports. Video streams from IP CCTV cameras can also be a source of similar problems, especially when the traffic is via WiFi, which doesn't cope well with continuous high traffic levels.
Suggestion :
Assuming the NAS has a static IP address, give the laptop a static IP address in the same range, and connect it directly to the ethernet port on the NAS that was connected to the router.
Re-try the large file transfer and see how it goes.

Alternatively, if you have an ethernet switch in your network, connect both the NAS and the laptop to the switch and re-test the file transfer, removing the router from the traffic path.
its not a connectivity problem its a file size problem given that it locked in the same way when trying to unzip a large file already trannsferered there. too much for the cpu or at least with the gui. when i did it from the shell it managed to unzip
AlastairStevenson
Experience counts

Post by AlastairStevenson »

its not a connectivity problem its a file size problem given that it locked in the same way when trying to unzip a large file already trannsferered there.
Were you accessing the file via the laptop over WiFi and so unzipping it on laptop?
In which case the traffic flow is much the same as copying a file from the laptop to the NAS, but in both directions.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the router just not able to handle the high steady traffic across its ethernet ports.
when i did it from the shell it managed to unzip
Which would avoid sending the traffic across the router to the laptop as the unzip was performed locally by the NAS.
TS-431+ for storage and media and a bunch of IP cams under Surveillance Station. TVS-473 as files backup and QVR Pro.

Return to “Miscellaneous”