Recovery for TS-412

Introduce yourself to us and other members here, or share your own product reviews, suggestions, and tips and tricks of using QNAP products.
Midnight0989
New here

Recovery for TS-412

Post by Midnight0989 »

Hello everyone,
I'm reaching out for assistance regarding a boot issue with my QNAP TS-412. I've encountered a problem where upon booting, it emits two beeps and starts flashing a red/green status intermittently. I've attempted the recovery via LiveCD as per the QNAP guide, with partial success. When using LAN2 port for recovery, the NAS seems to go through the process correctly, emitting the two beeps and restarting, but it ultimately returns to the initial state of flashing red/green intermittently. However, when attempting recovery via LAN1, it doesn't work as intended, immediately going back to the flashing red/green state.

I'm curious to know if the solution provided for other QNAP models could also apply to the TS-412, and if so, how I can implement it on this particular motherboard. I can't find LPR connector or other place to attach resistor.
Сa someone help me? 🙏

IMG_20240212_013319.jpg
IMG_20240212_013315.jpg
IMG_20240212_013310.jpg
IMG_20240212_013438.jpg
IMG_20240212_013247.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Recovery for TS-412

Post by dolbyman »

Split off this post as a 15 year old Kirkwood had nothing to do with an intel LPC issue topic
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
Midnight0989 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:50 am I'm reaching out for assistance regarding a boot issue with my QNAP TS-412. I've encountered a problem where upon booting, it emits two beeps and starts flashing a red/green status intermittently.
Here's an explanation of the beeps and LEDs from an old cat2 manual (your cat1 model uses the same codes): https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... status.htm

Maybe see if you can find a match in the provided tables?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Midnight0989
New here

Post by Midnight0989 »

Maybe see if you can find a match in the provided tables?
Thank you for providing more details, OneCD.
Based on the behavior and the information from the manual you provided, it seems like the NAS is exhibiting the "Flashes green and red alternately every 0.5 sec" and "2 Short beep (0.5 sec)" patterns, which are not explicitly listed in the provided table. Additionally, I've tested both with and without the HDDs, the network LEDs are flashing normally (yellow and green), indicating regular network activity, with HDDs the HDD LED is green with the disks spinning. It can remain in this state for hours, continues to flash red/green.

No progressing to the "third long initialization beep". Moreover, it's not being detected by QnapFinder on any LAN ports.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Just been reading through the firmware recovery guide for your NAS: https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... -based-nas

The nearest explanation I can see of the current LED and beep codes are at step 2.4.c:
QNAP wrote:2.4.c. Continue holding the power button and reset button simultaneously until an audio alert of two short beeps is issued. The NAS status LED will start flashing red and green. The LAN LED will also start flashing.
... which (I think) is where we are, but is then followed by:
QNAP wrote:2.4.d. Release the power button and reset button.
I wonder if the reset or power buttons are stuck? Other than that, I'm out-of-ideas.

You could try your luck with QNAP, but this unit is very End-of-Life, so they probably won't touch it.

Could be time for a new NAS? I suggest the TS-433, much-faster than your current one. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Midnight0989
New here

Post by Midnight0989 »

OneCD wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:42 am I wonder if the reset or power buttons are stuck? Other than that, I'm out-of-ideas.
Thank you for the advice.
However, I believe the issue doesn't lie with the buttons as they have been tested and found to be functioning correctly.

Buying a new NAS is always a valid suggestion. However, I'm keen on understanding what went wrong and perhaps attempting to restore the functionality of this one. The NAS was sealed and kept in storage for over 2 years, and from what I know, it was used with 4 HDDs and began exhibiting anomalies after a system update. As I'm unfamiliar with this type of system, I'm seeking assistance from someone who could provide guidance on how to proceed with repairs.

I came across an old article that caught my attention, addressing the anomaly I'm experiencing: viewtopic.php?t=57111. Additionally, I've searched through the forum regarding "kirkwood" issues (thanks to dolbyman) and noticed that most discussions involve Debian and restoration using advice from this site: https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-41x/.

I wanted to inquire if this could be a valid solution to revert the old firmware and reinstall the previously functional QNAP firmware. I suspect the problem might be related to the latest update performed on this NAS and the lack of ROM space. Subsequently, it got stuck in the boot process. This is just my hypothesis, and as the forum suggests, there's a vast amount of information available, and the topics vary considerably, and I'm not a seasoned professional in QNAP restoration procedures I'm seeking assistance from someone with more experience on this forum. And I thank everyone in advance for their collaboration.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you fail to install the recovery firmware, then this is not a ROMspace issue. It could be a busted u-boot flash.

To tinker with the u-boot, you would have to make a serial console cable
https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/ ... 1x/serial/

Return to “Users' Corner”