Qnap connection issue after changing router

Discussion on setting up QNAP NAS products.
chalou
New here

Qnap connection issue after changing router

Post by chalou »

Hi,

I have just change my wifi router and since i have issue with may Qnap TS253-pro.

After boot i can ping my qnap few minutes but after i lost connection on it !!!

I made no change on configuration.

New and old router give IP by DHCP.

All my others devices works fine with the new router, only qnap have an issue...

Regards
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Qnap connection issue after changing router

Post by dosborne »

Did the IP address assigned by DHCP change subnets? If so, it could be the firewall is locking you out or your whitelist needs to be updated. More investigation and information would be required to look further.

I'd start with removing the firewall and checking the whitelist though.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
dancingkweenz
New here

Post by dancingkweenz »

I am considering changing my router, didn't even cross my mind it could cause any issues of this type. Hope this was solved.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

dancingkweenz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:28 pm I am considering changing my router, didn't even cross my mind it could cause any issues of this type. Hope this was solved.
Not sure what type of "issues" you are referring to.

This is standard network behaviour. If you change subnets on your LAN, then many things have to change. Period.

DHCP simplifies this process to some extent, but things like firewalls and whitelists all need to be checked. Static IP addresses are much better for servers, NAS and other static devices.

It isn't something to "worry" about and definitely not something that can be "fixed" as this is simply the way things work.

There are many ways to minimize impact. For example, if your "normal" subnet used on your internal LAN is 192.168.0.x, then use the same subnet when you replace your router, even if it isn't the default for the new one. Personally, I run double NAT so I have 2 routers. My internal router handles all my own infrastructure which never changes no ,atter what outside influence there is. I can swap out ISP routers and change external subnets easily and it has no impact on my LAN.
dancingkweenz
New here

Post by dancingkweenz »

dosborne wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:35 pm
dancingkweenz wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:28 pm I am considering changing my router, didn't even cross my mind it could cause any issues of this type. Hope this was solved.
Not sure what type of "issues" you are referring to.

This is standard network behaviour. If you change subnets on your LAN, then many things have to change. Period.

DHCP simplifies this process to some extent, but things like firewalls and whitelists all need to be checked. Static IP addresses are much better for servers, NAS and other static devices.

It isn't something to "worry" about and definitely not something that can be "fixed" as this is simply the way things work.

There are many ways to minimize impact. For example, if your "normal" subnet used on your internal LAN is 192.168.0.x, then use the same subnet when you replace your router, even if it isn't the default for the new one. Personally, I run double NAT so I have 2 routers. My internal router handles all my own infrastructure which never changes no ,atter what outside influence there is. I can swap out ISP routers and change external subnets easily and it has no impact on my LAN.
Sorry about my choice of words, I am a beginner dealing with QNAP and I cannot tell what is "standard" and what can be defined as an "issue". Thanks for the explanation, I know I have a lot to learn and this community seems like a good place to start.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

This isn't a "QNAP" issue, it is basic networking and applies to many scenarios that do not have a NAS involved.

Return to “Turbo Station Installation & Setup”