Login Screen not usable on mobile devices

iPhone, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Android
stormer
Starting out

Re: Login Screen not usable on mobile devices

Post by stormer »

The latest firmware is reflecting to available firmware at date of the post, i.e. QTS 5.1.5.2679 build 20240219 (for TVS673).

Requesting Mobile Website of Desktop Website doesn’t have any effect.

I haven’t reported it. I was hoping it was just a setting that needed to be changed, but it seems it is not.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi @stormer. :)
stormer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:44 am The latest firmware is reflecting to available firmware at date of the post, i.e. QTS 5.1.5.2679 build 20240219 (for TVS673).
Probably the main reason the specific firmware version is requested is because it's not unusual for a NAS administrator to think they're using the "latest" firmware (because they trust the "check for firmware" service in QTS/QuTS), only to subsequently find-out they're actually several versions behind the latest. Because the firmware check doesn't always work. I'm always wary of anyone saying "latest" because I have no idea how they determined they're using the latest firmware, and am inclined to think they're just trusting the firmware check service.

Another reason is to assist future readers of your post. Example: the firmware version you're enquiring about (and have an issue with) might have been pulled from the QNAP download site 2 years from now and can't be found by the reader. When they try to calculate the "latest" firmware available at the time of your post, they'll find the wrong firmware version.

It's much safer to specify the actual version yourself, and let others confirm it really-is the "latest" version available.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stormer
Starting out

Post by stormer »

Understood and I appreciate the clarification. Thanks for pointing that out.

I admit I do trust the ‘check for latest firmware’ and the notification on my machine when it is telling me a new version is released. However I do check the change log though to understand the ‘changes & improvements’ to see whether it addresses the issues I am experiencing with the ‘latest’ firmware.

I also admit that I believe I am experiencing more issues since we’re on version 5 going forward and will hesitate continuing to upgrade firmware once I feel I have a stable version without any problems or glitches like the login screen. I don’t feel I have arrived at that point and even reverted to a previous version to check or verify changes in behaviour. I am only accessing my QNAP through VPN when I from home so not so concerned about upgrading to protect the NAS against exposing it to the outside world.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Another reason for posting an actual version instead of "latest" is that there are multiple streams. I'm still on the "latest" 4.5.4 version for example as I don't need the "new" features (and bugs) in the 5.x stream. 4.5.4.x still gets security updates.

Another reason for posting the actual firmware version is that specific bugs may be fixed in a specific version, or worse, introduced in a specific version.

Another reason for posting an actual firmware version, is why make the people trying to help you guess, or worse, waste their time looking up what "might" be the latest version based on your posting date.

Another reason for posting an actual firmware version is one could come out tonight, or last night, or 2 days ago, making this whole conversation pointless.

:) :)
I think (and hope) you get the point now. It takes all of about 5 seconds to type the version, and saves a lot of work by everyone guessing.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
stormer
Starting out

Post by stormer »

Point was already made clear by OneCD. Based on your last post, I will also see if I can revert back to 4.5.4 and check if it resolves the issues that I am currently having. It is actually an issue in another post that you have also responded to.

I appreciate all the feedback 👍 and try to give back to community when I find solutions to my problems that can help others when they are facing same or similar issues.

Return to “Mobile Devices”