Encryption of folders, keys on router storage or other network device

Tell us your most wanted features from QNAP products.
renefw
First post

Encryption of folders, keys on router storage or other network device

Post by renefw »

Unfortunately, so far it is only possible if you create encrypted folders on the QNAP NAS, either to download them and save them on the NAS or to manually enter the password for each folder after every restart or after booting up. I have encrypted several NAS devices from Qnap and a total of many folders to protect my sensitive data.

Once the key is downloaded and stored on the NAS, anyone who would steal one of my NAS can also access the sensitive data. It's like a lock with the key in it. So no security!!! Then I think you can save yourself having to encrypt the folders!!!

With a total of around 30 encrypted folders on my NAS systems, manually entering the passwords is quite time-consuming and annoying.

That's why I would like to enter the passwords once, download the key and save it on another device in the home network (for example my router) and specify this path in the NAS. I have access there via SMS! When booting up or after a restart, the respective NAS should load the appropriate key that was stored there from the local network path previously set up in the NAS. This means that after booting up or restarting, you don't have to manually enter the appropriate password for each encrypted folder to decrypt it. If a NAS is stolen, the password for decryption is not stored on the NAS. The thief who connects the NAS to his router would have to enter it manually, which is not possible because he does not know it. Additionally, the NAS would search on the established local deposit. Since this does not exist on the thief's home network or at least the appropriate key file has not been stored there, the encrypted folder or folders will not be decrypted. The router wouldn't be able to find anything over the Internet either because it's a local path. I find this very practical for the user and, from a security perspective, much safer than storing the key on the NAS.

That's why I would be happy if this function were implemented in all NAS systems in a future firmware. I suspect that there are many users here in the forum who would also like this function! If this is the case, please leave a short feedback. The more people say that they want this function, the higher the chance that it will be taken up and implemented by QNAP.

For info! Unfortunately, since I only speak German, I wrote everything in German and had it translated into English via the Internet using a translator. I hope that everything was translated comprehensibly, otherwise I apologize and please point it out to me, then I will write something differently and hope that it will then be translated more comprehensibly.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Encryption of folders, keys on router storage or other network device

Post by OneCD »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
OneCD
Guru

Re: Encryption of folders, keys on router storage or other network device

Post by OneCD »

Follow-up: viewtopic.php?t=156346

@camjesus documented how to-do this with volume encryption, so you'd need to adapt it for share encryption.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Features Wanted”