QNAP NAS reporting that my DNS cannot resolve hosts

Questions about using Windows AD service.
JamesRogue
New here

QNAP NAS reporting that my DNS cannot resolve hosts

Post by JamesRogue »

I'm the admin for a large isolated network (no internet access). In this isolated network we have a Windows Server 2016 running DNS/AD. We just bought a TS-1232PXU-RP NAS to use for file sharing. We ran through the setup for the ethernet adapter, IP/Subnet/Default Gateway/DNS Address we attempted to apply the settings. Everything is there but shortly after we accepted the settings, the NAS reported that the DNS is unable to resolve hosts. That seems odd considering I have a hundred devices that it resolves just fine. I decided that maybe we should update the firmware to the highest rev and try again. So downloaded the latest firmware for the model we bought and applied it. Went back through and set up the ethernet again and I still get the same message that the DNS is unable to resolve hosts. Has anyone had experience with this and how to troubleshoot/resolve the issue I'm seeing?

Literally this is the only step I had issue with otherwise I have the file sharing working. Any advice would be great.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP NAS reporting that my DNS cannot resolve hosts

Post by dolbyman »

Just ignore it ... for NAS operation it's not needed to check the QTS interface

You can also try to disable the online check
JamesRogue
New here

Post by JamesRogue »

I would ignore it but I'm looking to utilize the AD for security and functionality.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Are you sure the internal DNS is meant and not external status/online checks ?

What happens when you domain join the NAS ?
JamesRogue
New here

Post by JamesRogue »

The DNS is most certainly internal. We have no external access on this network. When I attempt to join the domain through the wizard it gives a message "NAS cannot detect all the necessary information." When I try to add it manually it states "Microsoft network settings failed. Please check the DNS server, domain name, username and password for logging into the domain."
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

And the DNS settings in the IP settings are correctly set for the DNS to be on the AD ?

Return to “Windows Domain & Active Directory”