TS-832PXU-RP and Samsung 870 SSD disconnecting

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
wrowe
New here

TS-832PXU-RP and Samsung 870 SSD disconnecting

Post by wrowe »

Does anyone else have any issues with Evo 870 SSDs disconnecting randomly? Specifically TS-832PXU-RP.
Anyone with that QNAP working properly with those SSDs?

We can't seem to figure it out.

The drives are from 2022.02.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-832PXU-RP and Samsung 870 SSD disconnecting

Post by dolbyman »

According to specs, that NAS has no m2 ports, so I guess you are using an adapter card.

What make and model is that card ?

Oh Wait my bad ... those are 2.5 inch SATA SSD's. So in what bay(s) are you running these ?
wrowe
New here

Post by wrowe »

We are running these in all bays.
QNAP Firmware 5.0.0.2131.

Samsung 4 TB 870 EVO.
Model MZ-77E4T0
PN MZ7L34T0HBLA

This QNAP said drive 4 had an issue. It disconnected. We rebooted the QNAP and it was rebuilding... we ran several full disk scans and all came back no errors.
But the minute we migrate data back to it, disk 2 disconnected...

We've had this issue with many different QNAPs. They suspect a faulty backplane, get it replaced, and issue happens again.
I am crossing my fingers because another QNAP had this issue but replaced the backplane and it hasn't happened yet... but the first time it did happen it took 4 Months.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I have used 2x 1TB EVO in a TS-853BU for ~2 years (strictly as Qtier) and swapped them with 870 QVO 4TB drives (not the best I know .. but I play around with it) .. both cases rock solid.

If you think there could be an issue with your ARM unit.. open a ticket with QNAP
qrusher
Know my way around

Post by qrusher »

samsung ssd failure issue moment
crush qnaps like a thanos crushing planets
Updates are compromise between old bug patches and new bugs introduced. 8)
do you backup..then kill it with fire
stuff:mikrotik Crs309-1g-8s+in & s+rj10 x4
pricemc1
New here

Post by pricemc1 »

I have both a TS-832PXU- and TS-1232PXU that both run 870 EVOs. I was seeing weekly issues with the drives disconnecting on the 832PXU. It got so bad I opened a case recently and after a month of talking to support they finally decided to RMA the array. I haven't gotten it back from QNAP yet so I cant say if replacement or refurbishment will fix it, but I suspect it won't.

On the 1232PXU I have also had a few disconnects although they are not happening quite as often as they did with 832PXU. The 1232PXU had been previously RMA'ed and replaced for another issue but I believe I have had the issue on both the original and replacement.

In researching this problem I ran across some web pages mentioning that there is some kind of issue with NCQ on the 870 EVOs and Linux now turns it off automatically. Since these arrays are Linux based I'm wondering if maybe having NCQ enabled is the issue. I mentioned this to QNAP support before they RMA'd the 832PXU but they didn't seem to have any comment on if this could be the issue. I went ahead and disabled NCQ on my 1232PXU as of today so I'll see if has any more disconnects any time soon. See link below for a description of the NCQ issue:

https://meterpreter.org/linux-kernel-di ... _article=1
pricemc1
New here

Post by pricemc1 »

Just an update from my experience so far disabling NCQ on a couple of my QNAP's running with EVO 870s. Since I disabled it on the TS-1232PXU I haven't had any disconnects or other NCQ related alerts. I got my TS-832PXU back from RMA a couple of weeks ago. They actually replaced the unit with a new unit. I set it up running with NCQ enabled. It seemed to run fine up until today when it turned off NCQ on one of the drives on its own. When it did this, it put out an info alert about it. It didn't actually disconnect the drive though. At that point, I went ahead and disabled NCQ on all the 870 drives in the TS-832PXU and so we'll see if any warnings or drive disconnects occur with NCQ disabled across the array.
Atroman75
First post

Post by Atroman75 »

Hello,
same issue here with TS-1232XU-RP and Samsung 870.
Can anyone help me disabling NCQ on my 870 disks in QNAP 1232XU-RP?
How can I check if NCQ is disabled or not?

Thanks in advance
ziofester76
First post

Post by ziofester76 »

Hello,
same problem here with TS-832PXU-RP-4G. I've tried changing raid array from 4 8TB samsung qvo 870 from raid5 with 4 disks to raid 1 with 2 arrays of 2 disks. There are no changes, sometimes I get errors same as the disks are not attached.

suggestions?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Same as above .. open a ticket

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”