HBS 3 issues. Can anyone help, or recommend an alternative backup solution?

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
Loofa
New here

HBS 3 issues. Can anyone help, or recommend an alternative backup solution?

Post by Loofa »

Hi everyone, hoping someone can offer advice here as I don't see any recent discussion on this topic.

I've been using HBS 3 to backup from a QTS 5.1 server to a couple of backup servers running QTS 4.3. After the most recent update RTRR-based backups have stopped working. Rsync backups work but they are throwing spurious failure errors. I've logged a ticket with QNAP support and provided logs, but their immediate request is to log onto the NAS, which I'm not comfortable with. This is the latest of a series of issues with HBS 3, which I'm losing confidence in. As backup is a core function for a NAS, it's also making me question my use of QNAP going forward.

Would be great if anyone had advice on how to fix the issue. Or even better, has a recommendation for a reliable backup solution that will provide versioning support.

Cheers
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: HBS 3 issues. Can anyone help, or recommend an alternative backup solution?

Post by dosborne »

Loofa wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:39 pm Would be great if anyone had advice on how to fix the issue. Or even better, has a recommendation for a reliable backup solution that will provide versioning support.
Might be helpful to post the actual errors you are encountering rather than have us guess :)

I personally have no issues with HBS3. It works well for what I need it to do.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Loofa
New here

Post by Loofa »

Fair challenge and I should have mentioned that. But the NAS notification just says job has failed and the job status is Error in the HBS3 log. I've downloaded the HBS3 debug report and checked in there. The only thing I can find of relevance (I'm not familiar the the log structure) is a status of 'Failed' in the relevant Job_History.Json file (see below). I can't find any detailed log for the failed job, or any way of activating this in the config. So really not much help in suggesting a cause.

"_id": 23,
"elapse_time": 51.341291189193726,
"error_count": 0,
"has_detail_log": false,
"job_id": "ed5f92e4-e83f-11ee-aa55-245ebe3e5f56",
"job_pid": -1,
"start_time": 1711209330,
"status": "Failed",
"stop_time": 1711209381,
"transferring": [],
"user_id": "system",
"version": "v14"

What does seem to work though is to use Active Sync on the backup servers (therefore on an old version of HBS) to pull a backup from the source using RTRR.
Jgwhite
New here

Post by Jgwhite »

I am in the same boat. The ticket is open. They keep asking for more information. I have reluctantly sent HBS3 logs but now they want all my logs. Downgraded and will not upgrade again.

I have opened tickets for other items in the past. Never actually seen them acknowledge and fix an issue.

Will be looking to move to another solution and will not buy Qnap again.
Loofa
New here

Post by Loofa »

@JGWhite, these issues started after I upgraded to the latest HBS3 version, so I've been trying to find an earlier version to downgrade to - can you point me at a link?
Loofa
New here

Post by Loofa »

Thank you!
outsch
Starting out

Post by outsch »

Same with me. I checked app update log and exactly after latest HBS update to version 24.0.0304 my daily RTRR job failed - every day, without reason and even wihtout sending a notice (which it did before in case of failure). Attempt to update the settings and run or create a new job and run both fail as well. HBS has become unusable in new version. Thanks at @JGWHite for the link to roll back!
Sockemdog
New here

Post by Sockemdog »

I'm having the exact same issues with RTRR failing. It happened right after upgrading HBS from 23.1.1116 to 24.0.0304. I know 'stuff' happens, but to break a key feature of why a NAS exists in the first place regarding backups is crazy.
Sockemdog
New here

Post by Sockemdog »

Thanks Jgwhite for the previous version! That fixed my issue with HBS failing on RTRR jobs. I've wasted 7 or 8 hours of my time trying to figure out the issue... from recreating the jobs to network connections to reinstalling HBS on the destination server. I hope QNAP is watching this thread!!!
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Sockemdog wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:17 am I hope QNAP is watching this thread!!!
They likely are not.

This is a user community forum. If you want to report an issue to QNAP, then enter a ticket with their support team.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
propper
New here

Post by propper »

I have the same issue with the new to old HBS backup.. Needed to downgrade to HBS3 23.. thank for this post.
paulb15480
First post

Post by paulb15480 »

I can report that I have a support ticket open with QNAP regarding this situation. Thanks to the previous post to the QPKG for the previous version of HBS 3 I can also say this allowed my RTRR backups to HBS to start working again. (How can you find previous version for all of the QNAP software for future reference???) Anyway the person I am working with at QNAP reported that they are working on figuring out what was changed between the two versions of HBS 3 to cause the problem and then finding a fix that won't break something else. So it seems QNAP is certainly aware of the problem and is working on a fix.
hornslife
New here

Post by hornslife »

I have a similar issue trying to sync to Wasabi (S3) which started March 25th 2024 after we updated the apps on our QNAP.
Every time I try to update the Wasabi account I get an error about the NAS being busy or disconnected to the network.
The HBS3 error is not very descript!

I hope QNAP can provide a timely update to the app to resolve this.
Jgwhite
New here

Post by Jgwhite »

I have a ticket open but they are requesting remote access to my device. There is no way I am going to allow that to happen. I hold little hope of a fix.

Return to “Backup & Restore”