Replacing a TS451+

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
sirrah
New here

Replacing a TS451+

Post by sirrah »

My TS451+ has died after 8 years of service. I have 2 questions:
1. What current model is the best replacement? I don't currently use any of the multimedia functions: it is mainly used for storing files for access from PC's
2. Can I put the existing hard drives (RAID 5 - 3 drives and a hot spare) into the new model and carry on as before? All updates have been installed on the existing NAS.

Thank you
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Replacing a TS451+

Post by dolbyman »

1. The cheapest x86 model
2. See here https://www.qnap.com/en/nas-migration
'3.' viewtopic.php?t=157459
RodRico
New here

Post by RodRico »

I currently have a TS-451A with 3x10TB drives and have recently endured two major software problems:
>> Would not accept a 4th drive of the same part number and has permanently declared the RAID volume "degraded" as a result.
>> Appeared to delete a 5TB folder full of family photos and videos when I attached a TR-004 expansion enclosure to backup my data.
It turns out I lost no data but did suffer a week of stress and insecurity over 14.5TB of data before I successfully backed it up to the TR-004.

I connected the TR-004 ($219 on Amazon) to an unused Surface tablet and found I rather enjoyed the experience. Everything is quieter and I'm much more familiar with Windows 10 than with QOS, so I expect fewer surprises. It also supports my primary photo management app (Mylio) which is not directly supporter by QNAP (Mylio). My other media management tool is Plex, which runs on QNAP or Windows. Thus, I'm considering selling the TS-451A and using the TR-004 standalone with the Surface tablet. This is all to say if you too have an unused computer sufficient to your needs, you might consider the TR-004.

P.S. Just out of curiosity, after 8 years of service, how many drive failures have you suffered?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Well that's why you have backups BEFORE stuff hit's the fan, an expensive or tearful lesson for many to learn (too late)

And if you have your data now exclusively on the TR004, you are again flying without backups
RodRico
New here

Post by RodRico »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:20 pm if you have your data now exclusively on the TR004, you are again flying without backups
Data from the TS-451A is now backed up to the TR-004 JBOD, and I am in process of rebuilding the RAID5 array in the TS-451A (this is in place of the RAID5 array that was in "graceful degradation"). My data is copying from my TR-004 back to my TS-451A as we speak. Sadly, I have no realistic choice but to "fly without backup" until the copy process completes.

My final configuration may be to configure two of my three "good" 10TB drives as RAID0 in Slot 1/2 then configure the last "good" 10TB plus the one "band" 10TB drive as JBOD in Slot 3/4 used to back up the primary pair in Slots 1/2 (a "good" 10TB drive is from the original set of three which I know work and play well together while the "bad" 10TB drive is the disk of the same part number that the TS-451A would not accept when I tried to expand my 3 disk RAID5 array to four disks). This configuration (2x10TB in RAID0, 2x10TB in JBOD) should be possible in either my TS-451A or my TR-004. As previously noted, the TR-004 unit has an advantage in being simpler, quieter, and lower power method to host both Plex (movies and music) and Mylio (photos) servers.

Thanks for all the help you give us amateurs here in the forum!

Return to “Presales”