Qlink.to vs Quickconnect.to

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
plifao
New here

Qlink.to vs Quickconnect.to

Post by plifao »

On Sinology systems, if you use the URL "quickconnect.to/my_nas", if you are on the same LAN as the NAS, it connects you to it by direct IP.
However, on Qnap, if you use the equivalent system (qlink.to/my_nas), it seems that it does not identify that the source computer and the NAS are on the same LAN, so the connection is made through the Qnap servers with the performance impact that this entails if you are going to transmit files.
I understand that if you know you are on the same LAN, you are going to know that it is better to connect via direct IP... but it wouldn't hurt for Qnap to use a system like Sinology, which is able to detect that automatically and connect in the best possible way.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Qlink.to vs Quickconnect.to

Post by dolbyman »

No idea about Syno systems, but what you describe seems like NAT loopback, would also only come into play by direct web exposed devices (dangerous)

So just access your NAS via local IP and then you can access it no matter if in your LAN or remotely connected via VPN (NO..not the paid kind)
plifao
New here

Post by plifao »

No, it does not do NAT loopback, nor is the system exposed to the Internet (no ports are open).
What it does is, somehow, when you put in the URL, it checks if the source computer (from which you are trying to access) and the NAS are on the same LAN, and if so, it connects you to it directly by its local IP (the address in the browser bar automatically goes something like this: NAS_LAN_IP.direct.quickconnect.to:PORT) (which in the end is a DNS pointing to the local IP).
It is clearly a better option than what Qnap does, since with Qnap you can be on the same LAN, and if for whatever reason, you use the SmartURL (qlink.to/MY_NAS), all the traffic would go through the Qnap servers... while with Sinology, even if you use the SmartURL instead of the local IP (which would be logical..), it is really Smart and the traffic does not leave the LAN.
Regards
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Sounds like an extension of this: viewtopic.php?t=167134

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”