Help! Playback lagging!

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
execine
New here

Help! Playback lagging!

Post by execine »

Hello all,

i'm so frustrated... changed to Qnap TS-464 NAS and I cannot stream big files anymore without lag via my Zidoo player. I used to have Thecus NAS which worked flawlessly, while playing from Qnap stutters from time to time and there is nothing i can do. I tried changing samba settings etc, checking disk speeds - nothing helps, everything seems to be functionining properly expcept streaming. I read that there is some hidden samba settings SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF which could be changed, maybe that is an issue.

Did anyone experience the same? Really frustrated to have spent 2000 Eur and cannot playback files naymore :oops:
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Help! Playback lagging!

Post by dolbyman »

without knowing the network config (slow wifi?) and playback methods (if it is SMB, what are the speeds you are seeing?)..very hard to tell
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Have you tried Plex?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
execine
New here

Post by execine »

After all tests, it does seem to me the problem lies in the way smb delivers file. Transferrring file to and from Qnap via computer works fine, though not stable, speed is constant but approx every 10 sec drops and then picks up again. Network component are not an issue as nothing changed in the whole route except NAS itself. My player is connected to NAS via Lan and network speed is 1gbps, so that is not an issue for sure. Then again, previously with Thecus Nas all worked flawflessly. Hard drives speed inside NAS is also perfectly fine, i did a test, each drive reads over 200mb/s...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

drops every 10 seconds sound strange .have you tried another LAN connection on the NAS ?
execine
New here

Post by execine »

It does seem that despite hard drives individually are working fast, in raid configuration they are not stable as transfer speeds are extremely slow and writing is only 20-30mb/s as you can see from the screenshot while constant slow downs are noticed :( trying to solve this via support, but any ideas are welcome.
jamesgagne
New here

Post by jamesgagne »

I have this exact NAS, and I have high performance drives in raid 10 and have an SSD for read cache, I'm getting the exact same stuttering problems. I used the Windows 11 media player and VLC. Even HD audio files stutter. I don't like that we both have the same problem with the same product. Somethings fishy. My old server from 2016 had 5400 WD Reds in raid 1, plus it had 24/7 cameras on there and it never stuttered.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Remove the cache and test again...cache is known to cause all sort of slowdowns and issues
jamesgagne
New here

Post by jamesgagne »

dolbyman wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:28 pm Remove the cache and test again...cache is known to cause all sort of slowdowns and issues
I'm returning the nas. I bought an i5 14400 (comes with star wars outlaws for free!) 32gb ddr5 6000, a fractal case, seasonic gold psu, motherboard, heatsink etc. For the exact same price as the qnap.

Return to “Media Streaming”