Quite angry that QNAP lies about PCIe TPU

QNAP now provides a groundbreaking AI computing platform based on QNAP NAS called QuAI (pronounced "Q A I" ) - QNAP's AI Developer Package.
Data Mining/Machine Learning/Deep Learning
ckwong58
New here

Quite angry that QNAP lies about PCIe TPU

Post by ckwong58 »

Here is my NAS config:
TS-873 64G with 8Gx8 HDD
After I read the TPU can help to minimise CPU usage, I brought 2 Coral Edge TPUs PCIe as they are cheaper than one piece of USB type. However, while I installed into the machine, there have no reaction found just like nothing installed. Below the QNAP answers:
"As stated in TS-873's specifications page :
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/ts-873/specs/hardware
TS-873's M.2 slot only supports SATA interface SSD, it has no PCI-E support, PCI-E devices like NVME SSDs or Edge TPU will not be detected in the slot at all."
Really!?
I found none of these words in the specification page but shows the G650-04686-01 that I installed is in the compatibility list. That is the reason I brought it.
You will also find below the small notes in the compatibility list
"TS-873
Coral G650-04686-01 (G650-04686-01-QNAP)
The M.2 Accelerator is suited for NAS that has M.2 2280 PCIe slots or PCIe expansion slots for installing QNAP QM2 cards."
Really??? Here shows "SUITED". Any confusion??
The TPU is anyway not found in QM2 cards compatibility lists.

It supports USB type TPU, yes. It seems not speed up the recognition but minimise the CPU usage as much as 30% more. That is at least what I looking for. Before that the recognition start, the CPU usage will be as high as 98% and caused a very long time reaction on the web UI. After the USB TPU installed, the CPU usage is now not more than 65%.

What do you think about QNAP? As I very very disappointed.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Quite angry that QNAP lies about PCIe TPU

Post by OneCD »

ckwong58 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:35 pm What do you think about QNAP? As I very very disappointed.
I think with the contradictory information presented, you should have clarified it with QNAP before purchasing your TPU cards.

I suspect English isn't your primary language, so I'll try not to be harsh, but calling this a "lie" doesn't fit the circumstance. At-worst, it's a mistake.

You're partly-to-blame for the mess you're in, so throwing accusations around in anger to avoid said blame is childish. Take some responsibility.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ckwong58
New here

Post by ckwong58 »

OneCD wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:04 pm I think with the contradictory information presented, you should have clarified it with QNAP before purchasing your TPU cards.
-- The contradictory information is found after I installed the PCIe TPU. And the information that PCIe TPU card compatible to TS-873 can be found in web sites from global, USA, England, Taiwan, Hong Kong and China. If things purchase should have clarified with QNAP, what those sites they built for? What those specification they shows for?
OneCD wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:04 pm I suspect English isn't your primary language, so I'll try not to be harsh, but calling this a "lie" doesn't fit the circumstance. At-worst, it's a mistake.
-- Yes, you are correct, English is not my primary language, Chinese is. Sorry that my broken English mess you. But anyway, those contradictory information exist for quite a long time. "LIE" is the word I use childishly, yes; QNAP people don't visit their own forum, I also know that, yes. I still childishly hope that my broken mess English can let them make the clarification, yes. Since, who made the "MISTAKE"?
OneCD wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:04 pm You're at-least partly to blame for the mess you're now in, so throwing accusations around in anger to avoid said blame is childish. Take some responsibility.
-- Have you checked with their websites about the compatibility list? Don't you think that they should be the one to "take some responsibility"?
Last edited by OneCD on Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quoting
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I'm of the opinion anything I respond-with will be met with further incredulous comments, and an abundance of question marks. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Can you return it?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
ckwong58
New here

Post by ckwong58 »

dosborne wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:07 am Can you return it?
No. Cannot. They are not expensive, the return freight is. It's OK to keep them.
claudio88
New here

Post by claudio88 »

if i am understanding it well your are using the M.2 Slot for connecting the TPU.
i just went through the installation myself on a TS473A --> https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/ts-473a
while i kept the 2 m.2slots available for system memory i have opted to use the PCIe expansion (seems yours runs the same way).

what i have done was the following:
purchase PCIE X1 to M.2/NGFF (A+E Key) WiFi Bluetooth Wireless Module Adapter Card
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BCTZB6H1?ps ... ct_details
purchase Coral Edge TPU
https://coral.ai/products/m2-accelerator-dual-edgetpu

install it, and it pop up straight into the hardware resources. In there you can set your hardware resource priorities if you are using it for different application
beneix
Know my way around

Post by beneix »

what i have done was the following:
Thanks for a helpful post. Could I ask, what are you using the TPU for, does it make a significant difference and are you happy with the investment?
TS-253B QTS 5.1.5.2679 build 20240219

Return to “QuAI”