No network after WOL - no HDD activity

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
webspyder
Starting out

No network after WOL - no HDD activity

Post by webspyder »

I had to reset my NAS (TS-873U) after my RAID-6 configuration got corrupted and even support couldn't help. Fortunately I had a backup to restore my important data. Now I reconfigured my NAS, restored my data and made some minor changes to the initial setup (I added a separate HDD for the system only, where all the add-ons are stored, the RAID-6 is now only for user-data). Everything seems to work perfect, however my system behaves a little strange. I use a 10G SFTP+ link for my normal data and to boot the system with WOL, an additional connection with a totally different IP-address (different subnet). When I shutdown the system automatically (time controlled) or manually, and I wake up the system, the system starts but after a few seconds HDD activity stops and the 10G interface is not activated. As there is no HDD activity, I poweroff the system and restart it after a few seconds. This time, the system comes online without any problems. If I look at Qulog-Center, the first try is not logged, nothing is written to the system log. Prior to the RAID-6 crash everything worked flawless.

I have got no idea, why the system is not started using WOL.
NoName
Know my way around

Re: No network after WOL - no HDD activity

Post by NoName »

I have nor real clue, but does the system start correctly when the first try isn't WOL but using poweroff and restart as you describe after the unsuccessful WOL?

There is also a setting on EuP mode, which I understand if activated will deactivate WOL?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

I seem to recall that there were issues with WOL on non-1G connections. Maybe give that a go? (a search may turn up more information and details)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
webspyder
Starting out

Post by webspyder »

Additional information:
- WOL itself is working, the system is started, but it does not activate the 10G SFP+ link and there is no HDD activity (solid light on all the HDDs)
- there is nothing logged in the system logs
- the 1G interface (other IP address segment) seems to be active (not tried if I can access the interface as I use the segment only for booting)
- starting the system with the power button starts the system normal, 10G is active, HDDs are running
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Try using the WOL on the 1G connection just to see if things power up correctly.
webspyder
Starting out

Post by webspyder »

dosborne wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:24 pm Try using the WOL on the 1G connection just to see if things power up correctly.
Exactly this is my issue: When I use the 1G connection (from another IP address segment), WOL is executed, the system turns on, but NO network connection, no HDD activity. It seems as if the systems turns on and then it does not continue booting the system.

I'll try a few other steps next:
1. See if i can access the system after WOL from my other network, where the 1G adapter is connected to
2. Connect my 1G port to the network where my 10G adpater is connected to, disabling the 10G in advance

What irritates me is the fact, that WOL seems to work and powers on, but then the system does not continue booting, as if the boot sequence is not initialized.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Ok sorry, I thouht you had only tried the 10G

Return to “Miscellaneous”