QNAP to Discontinue Photo Station, Qphoto, and Qvideo

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
LLiamG
Starting out

Re: QNAP to Discontinue Photo Station, Qphoto, and Qvideo

Post by LLiamG »

Pardon, dolbyman? What you are saying is: any [QNAP?] NAS can only be used 'locally', so streaming from and uploading to a [QNAP?] NAS remotely is just impossible without endangering the content? Making a sweeping statement like this only raises questions. If it so dangerouse then why do the NAS makers [QNAP or others] provide apps which can do this? How many businesses rely on remote connection to allow employees to work in other locations? If you have such knowledge it would be useful to put this out here in the form of a tutorial.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Here is a long thread of just a single malware (deadbolt)

viewtopic.php?t=164797

There have been many more in the past..read this and be VERY afraid
LLiamG
Starting out

Post by LLiamG »

Again I say, you can list all the horrors you want but without some idea about 'how to prevent' we are no better off. You are basically saying that [for instance] https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... a-qnap-nas , is not effective and we must still shake in our boots if we want to use [what now is becoming the norm] Qumagie for instance?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

We had this discussion many times..after a malware wave is before a malware wave

The way to prevent it is to not expose your NAS to WAN...please stick to the topic of this thread now. (discontinuation of photostation, erc)
LLiamG
Starting out

Post by LLiamG »

Excuse me? YOU started all the stories of doom and gloom with comments which ammounted to 'never use the qnap mobile apps as you will be attacked' so do not make out that the direction this discussion went to be mine. I shall take this discussion [so all your comments] to another board don't you worry.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

Basically LliamG you are saying that Qnap themselves should come out of the closet, take responsibility for the mess they have created and be more clear about what steps should be taken to secure our devices. I’d agree with that. As Johnny come lately’s they have got better but your /our frustration is really better targeted at the company themselves.
LLiamG
Starting out

Post by LLiamG »

Spile, when it comes to any 'mess they [QNAP] have created' I am starting support tickets about all the Qumagie aspects I consider need attention, and getting constructive answers by the way. My 'gripe' here is that venting my present dissilusion with Qumagie prompted a panic warning about 'exposing my nas...' which still has to be explained clearly. I have shifted that discussion to the thread called: 'Danger of malware attacks by using Qumagie' I am reading between the lines that Qnap at some point launched apps which created remote connection outside the MyQnapCloud link which went wrong and caused all sots of mayhem, like deadbolts [no idea what that is] and ransomware? Is someone trying to tell us that Qumagie falls into that catagory? Anyway some members consider this discussion out of place in this thread so, as I said, it's probably best to continue via the 'Danger of malware attacks by using Qumagie'.
cboueb
New here

Post by cboueb »

I have an old TS219P (firmware 4.3.3.240)

QuMagie is not available in Qnap AppCenter for this model and QuMagie mobile app is not compatible (requires firmware 4.4.1).
I understand that QPhoto mobile app will be removed from google play store. Is there any way to download the APK before, so that I can still use QPhoto ?

Note : My TS219 is not exposed to WAN.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

There is apk mirror websites..just google for them
linuxxxunil
New here

Post by linuxxxunil »

OneCD wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:26 am
linuxxxunil wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:24 am Qphoto and Qvideo still up on the mobile app page.
Doesn't make sense. Oh well.

https://www.qnap.com/en-au/mobile-apps/ ... ertainment
Removal won’t happen until the 1st of October, as mentioned in the OP. ;)
Today is Nov 02... still up. And still on the App Store (iOS). Oh Well.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

for music i like navidrome. it's not perfect, but i think it's a lot better than music station. you can install this using docker portainer with a docker compose :)

they also have android apps that support navidrome. i use substreamer.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
arthurdent123
New here

Post by arthurdent123 »

I think it would just be nice if any of these apps ever worked properly in the first place. As in .. the basics. I am interested in what alternatives you would use instead of qphoto or qumagie. Not getting the orientation correct on HEIC files when you have to pay 12 USD for the codec (compare this to say a the development investment in a game) license .. is extremely disappointing.

I was pointed at filebrowser ( pro ? ) which can build a local thumbnail cache but I can't yet see how to get it to generate a view for a whole directory structure.

I notice Photo Map mentioned above and will go an investigate that

FWIW I want to keep my photo library read only for browsing. I have a curated ingest mechanism to get photos into it from all sources. But once they are there, it is protected. I literally just need a great app for browsing it and if I find something I want to edit tagging it / add it to a virtual album that I can then use to drive further workflow. I would never use these apps for editing, printing, any form of post processing.

Update: PhotoPrism running in a docker image looks like it may be the answer.
gregor_w
Starting out

Post by gregor_w »

Photo Station currently still is available and it is also shown on the "Multimedia App Suite" page of the Multimedia Console – as if it were an app that you should install.

I am new to Qnap, and installed Photo Station on my new NAS after setting up Multimedia Console, Qsirch and QuMagie. But at first start of Photo Station it showed a notice about that it is discontinued and it will only receive security updates. So I guessed that it's not needed and that QuMagie probably is better, and deinstalled it right away.
Though… should I keep it, is Photo Station still useful or necessary for something?
gregor_w
Starting out

Post by gregor_w »

I don't think they will unless there is an alternative. Like, QuMagie can do everything that PhotoStation is able to do (and slightly more), so there was no reason to keep and maintain both apps.
Jongalt26
Starting out

Post by Jongalt26 »

cboueb wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:05 pm I have an old TS219P (firmware 4.3.3.240)

QuMagie is not available in Qnap AppCenter for this model and QuMagie mobile app is not compatible (requires firmware 4.4.1).
I understand that QPhoto mobile app will be removed from google play store. Is there any way to download the APK before, so that I can still use QPhoto ?

Note : My TS219 is not exposed to WAN.
Unfortunately, due to compatibility limitations and Qnap's decision to remove the QPhoto app from the Google Play Store, a direct solution to continue using this application may no longer be available. However, there are some alternative methods you can try. You can search the internet for the QPhoto APK and attempt to download it from there.

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”