WebDAV Error 0x800700df although i'm on NTFS

Post your questions about Web Server usage and Apache + PHP + MySQL/SQLite web applications.
Qiuness
New here

WebDAV Error 0x800700df although i'm on NTFS

Post by Qiuness »

Hi there,

I've setup webdav and managed to connect to it. Right now i`m limited to ~5-10MB / file. I've read about NTFS 4GB limitations and that registry hack, but there shouldnt be any limitations for NTFS right? So how come i'm so limited? I`m running a 5Bay QNAP and Windows 11 on the client side.
I've been at it for the last 3 hours and it this doesnt make sense!

Error:
webdav error 0x800700df: the file size exceeds the limit allowed and cannot be saved.

Thank you
OneCD
Guru

Re: WebDAV Error 0x800700df although i'm on NTFS

Post by OneCD »

What is your NAS model and firmware version please?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NoName
Know my way around

Post by NoName »

Webdav is just the file share protocol. I.e. like SMB or NFS as well. When copying big files you may hit limits from the file system or from the file share protocol. NTFS never (and almost no filesystem i know) had a limit of 5 or 10 MB on the file size, so if you are encountering issues at around 10 MB filesize, it won't be your NTFS. So your issue is most likely related to Webdav.

But it may be on client or server side, so you need to help out with some more infomartion, i.e. os and hardware of server and client. Most likely the server is a QNAP NAS, and your client a Windows? If you are using a Windows, you can try the registry hack on the Windows machine.
Qiuness
New here

Post by Qiuness »

The qnap is a TS-453D and the client side is windows 11 updated.

The hack works and now the file limit is 4gb, but I don't understand why that limit exists if the protocol doesn't have a limit... Windows does not impose a limit and I don't have fat Filesystem.
What could be the cause?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

What exactly is the setup ? Why is webdav used? is the NAS public exposed and away from your windows client ?
Qiuness
New here

Post by Qiuness »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:27 pm What exactly is the setup ? Why is webdav used? is the NAS public exposed and away from your windows client ?
Yes, I have some windows clients at my families location + I would like access to my files when I am not at home so that's why I used webdav. I could switch to ftp but then file management becomes an issue.

I do have a hardware VPN which I could setup but I'm not sure how that will allow me to browse my local Lan after I connect to it..

Should I change webdav?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

You should NEVER expose your LAN to the internet, except through a VPN. Any other method is data suicide. (see one of the many THOUSANDS of posts about malware)

Run your VPN hardware, or it is a simple setup on your router if it has the option.

Then, when you are remote, use one of the many widely available VPN client apps to connect. Your device will become part of your home network and you can access all the resources (files, servers, printers, scanners, etc) the same way you can if you are at home.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
NoName
Know my way around

Post by NoName »

Qiuness wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:10 pm The hack works and now the file limit is 4gb, ... Windows does not impose a limit ...
Actually if the registry hack works it means, that the Windows implementation of WebDav did impose the limit. This was documented by MS, though I understood the documentation it would be only server side related. But WebDav was designed for accessing files via Browser without the need for FTP. A browser typically has a 60 sec timeout, so if a file can't be transferred via Internet within 60sec the download would file anyway. Instead of waiting each time for the timeout an immediate error on large files is improving the user experience.

For the use of WebDav: I would also recommend that you connect via VPN to you LAN or NAS. That's basically the VPN use case. Only if you have changing clients that should connect to your NAS you may think of access from the internet. But you should know at least firewalls, user authentication and authorization. Perhaps also something on reverse proxies. While I wouldn't be as strict as dosborne, it is for sure dangerous and suicide for inexperienced admins. It takes typically just 2-5 minutes to let attacks start on any newly connected device. The bottom line remains: Best to block access from the internet.

Return to “Web Server & Applications (Apache + PHP + MySQL / SQLite)”