HBS3 to myQNAPCloud video size limit

Backup, Restore, Netbak Replicator, Cloud Storage Services
grouillier
Starting out

HBS3 to myQNAPCloud video size limit

Post by grouillier »

Just encountered what to me is a strange issue. I back up my primary NAS TS-253A to a backup NAS TS-230 using HBS 3. Everything works fine there. I'll explain further below, but as the subject hints, I'm having an issue with large video files. On this internal backup, all files, including large video files, are successfully copied from primary to backup NAS.

Just to be extra cautious with documents and media files (pictures and videos) I really don't want to lose, I'm also backing those up to myQNAPCloud, using HBS 3 as well. I discovered that large video files are not making it to myQNAPCloud. An MP4 of size 34 MB copied to myQNAPCloud fine, but another of size 165 MB did not. This was not an isolated issue. Multiple large video files were not copied. On the other hand, an FBR file, which is a flashback video file, of size 12 GB *was* copied. Flashback video file are leser known that MP4 and MOV, so perhaps that's why it got through.

I went to the myQNAPCloud website https://www.myqnapcloud.com. From that page, I manually uploaded one of the failing video files. To my surprise, it went through. I thought it would fail.

So, finally, my question. Is there a known issue uploading large video files to myQNAPCloud using HBS 3? From my NAS event log, here is one of the entries that failed. This file is 352 MB:

Code: Select all

[Hybrid Backup Sync] 
 Sync job "FastNAS sync to MyQNAPCloud": 
 Failed to upload file/folder to "/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Private/pictures/Jaimie/teddy_loch_moy_stadium_20220515.mp4". 
 Error: FileNotFoundError

The wording is a little misleading. The indicated file is on my NAS at that location. The job is attempting to copy that file *from* that location to myQNAPCloud .

I appreciate any help. Thanks.
TS-230, TS-253A, both with latest stable QTS
grouillier
Starting out

Re: HBS3 to myQNAPCloud video size limit

Post by grouillier »

I found a workaround that is sufficient for me. I'm posting this solution in case others find this post via search. Turns out the real issue was encryption and not the size of the video files. I had originally set up this one-way sync job from my NAS to myQNAPCloud with only text and PDF documents. To secure those documents, I selected client-side encryption. That finished without errors.

Since my myQNAPCloud account has 100 GB and my text documents only occupied about 50 GB of that, I decided to add pictures and video files to the sync. That is when the error occurred. After my original post, I thought that I don't really need encryption for these photos and videos. I don't care if people see them; there is nothing private or embarrassing in them. So, I removed the media files from the original sync, cloned it, then added the media files as the only folder pair to the clone; finally, I removed the client-side encryption from the clone. Syncing the clone media job finishes without error. So apparently, the client-side encryption was causing the failure, and not the copy to myQNAPCloud. Not sure why.

Hope this helps somebody.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Seems like a bug you should report to QNAP
grouillier
Starting out

Post by grouillier »

dolbyman wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:16 pm Seems like a bug you should report to QNAP
Thanks, I'll do that and report back here.
ericvb
Starting out

Post by ericvb »

Did you get already an answer?

I've the same problem after the update to the latest firmware QUTS hero h5.1.7.2770 and my files are also big and I use encryption just like you.
I will do some tests with compression and encryption. I'll report back.

Edit:
The files are bigger than 1 Gb, they are all tar files, so in my case not video files.
The original backup configuration, working before the update, was using compression and encryption
0. enabled compression + enabled encryption : error FILENOTFOUNDERROR (original configuration)
1. disabled compression + enabled encryption : error FILENOTFOUNDERROR

Created a clone from this backup configuration because you can't disable the encryption
2. disabled compression + disabled encryption : backup success
3. enabled compression + disabled encryption : error FILENOTFOUNDERROR

Created again a clone because once has created the back configuration you can't activate encryption
4. disabled compression + enabled encryption : error FILENOTFOUNDERROR

Created a brand new backconfiguration to backup a folder with all little files
5. enabled compression + enabled encryption : backup success

So we can conclude that compression and encryption is not working anymore for big files!
TVS-h1288X, 8 x Seagate 3.5" 6Tb in RAID 5, 2 x SSD 2.5" 1Tb Samsung as virtual station working space
grouillier
Starting out

Post by grouillier »

I'm still working with QNAP on this issue, but yes, I have been in communication with them. They have confirmed the issue through independent testing. I submitted this report via a support ticket, which apparently is private to me so I cannot share it. I haven't used compression, so that played no part in the error I received. And like you, this appears to be size related. I was able to successfully back up some encrypted files that were not very large. Oddly for me, I had one binary file that was over 1 GB that I was *successful* in encrypting. This file was an FBR file, which oddly is also a video file. I don't know why this one went through, while all my larger MOV and MP4 files encountered the FileNoFoundError.

I'll report back here once I get a resolution from QNAP.
ericvb
Starting out

Post by ericvb »

I did also open an issue ticket with QNAP.
I'll also report back, if I get news from them.
TVS-h1288X, 8 x Seagate 3.5" 6Tb in RAID 5, 2 x SSD 2.5" 1Tb Samsung as virtual station working space

Return to “Backup & Restore”