Choppy video playback on Qmedia for Firestick

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
StopGap
New here

Choppy video playback on Qmedia for Firestick

Post by StopGap »

Video playback on Qmedia is extremely poor and essentially unusable. The format of videos doesn't seem to matter much, in fact I am not playing anything more than HD.

These are the things I have tried:
  • Initially configured Multimedia Console with photos in QuMagie and Videos in VideoStation
  • Found that if you install Cayin, videos can be played via QuMagie, but this does not translate to QMedia. Videos played ok using this method by web interface.
Tried the following servers, but each had their issues, mostly with photos:
  • Jellyfin (can't sort photos in reverse date order)
  • Plex (only shows photos in auto timed slideshows)
  • Emby (expensive)
So, at this point, my only solution is to use QMedia for photos and any of the above for video. Seems Kinda crazy, given my investment in QNap.
If anyone has any recommendations or solutions, I'd love to hear it.
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Choppy video plaback on Qmedia for Firestick

Post by dosborne »

Might be useful to provide some basic info as to which NAS model, and less importantly, the firmware you are running.

Every application has strengths and weaknesses in my opinion. However, personally, I don't use a NAS as a media player, just as storage. For most models, media playback is more or less just a marketing tool to increase sales. They are expected to run the basics, but if you want advance options or configurability, then you generally need to pay for a specific product (not a free add-on) or a device designed for that task.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
StopGap
New here

Re: Choppy video plaback on Qmedia for Firestick

Post by StopGap »

Good point - it's a QNAP TS-462 with 2GB RAM.

I am not running much else other than hyrbid backup.
I know some will say the RAM is skinny, but videos play fine in a browser. It's just Qmedia that's the issue.

I totally get what you're saying, but my needs are very basic - I am really only talking about home movies.

Return to “Media Streaming”