TS-431P3 randomly stops responding, but will reply to ping

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
jollino
Starting out

TS-431P3 randomly stops responding, but will reply to ping

Post by jollino »

Hello all,
I've recently begun having an odd issue with my TS-431P3. As the subject says, it will randomly (generally once every 2-3 days) stop responding to all services, e.g. I can't connect via SMB/AFP, can't access the web interface, can't log in via SSH, and so on.

The oddest thing is that it still replies to pings and, even weirder, if I try to talk to the web server or sshd via telnet I do get a response. If it only replied to pings, I would think that it's a matter of the CPU being choked or RAM not being enough, as I have seen that on other machines during the years. Essentially, any "actual" service just times out eventually. I normally notice this when I try to access the SMB share via VLC on iOS, but I've been doing that for months with zero issues, and I don't think it's actually related.

The NAS is essentially a data repository that I use on my own. I do have two users but I access one of them from a single computer most of the time. I used to run Surveillance Station but disabled that when I added more cameras than the free license supported, and moved to my own recording system that runs on a different machine. I do not use Multimedia Services (in fact I wish I could remove those entirely) and have disabled any "cloud" features so that I can only access the NAS locally. I've been using HBS3 to orchestrate Time Machine backups from two Macs, using an external 4 TB disk connected via USB 3, and that's been going well for months.

In fact, last night it happened again and I noticed the issue around midnight by trying to access the SMB share via VLC on my phone, and then I noticed that the most recent TM backup was at around 5:30 pm. I hadn't accessed the NAS in between so I had missed it.

I can't find anything in the logs that suggests any reason for the freeze-up. Thankfully I'm able to shut it down gracefully by holding the power button, but when I reboot it there's absolutely nothing in there, just the usual maintenance stuff. Memory seems to be doing fine, at least when I check. I also uninstalled any third-party apps (really just iperf3) so I'm not sure what may be causing this.

The only thing that recently changed is that I switched ISPs and the new one offers proper IPv6 support (which I disabled on the NAS to be sure it wasn't somehow related to this), and connected the NAS to a 2.5 Gbit switch, which worked seamlessly. I disabled NCSI checks because I used to get the occasional NCSI failure, but that also happened before changing ISPs and when I still used a gigabit switch.

For the record, it has four 8-TB Ironwolves in RAID 5 configuration, about 17 out 24 TB used. I'm running firmware 5.1.7.2770.

Does anyone have any idea what else I may be missing? It's getting really annoying, especially as shutting it down and booting it up again takes its sweet time.

Any hints would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!
jollino
Starting out

Re: TS-431P3 randomly stops responding, but will reply to ping

Post by jollino »

An update: it just happened again, after another fresh reboot and without the external USB disk connected; I had also replaced the network cable with a brand new cat6 one. After it happened I connected it to a gigabit switch and it resumed working, so I'm at a loss here. The 2.5gbit switch is cheap, but every other device connected to it seems to work well. ifconfig does show errors and dropped frames, even connected to the gigabit switch. Is the NIC inside the NAS dying?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Hard to say from afar and without logs.

Might be best to contact QNAP support via ticket, so they can have a look
jollino
Starting out

Post by jollino »

Hi dolbyman, I agree — hard to tell what's going on without logs, but sadly there doesn't seem to be anything relevant in QuLog. dmesg only reports about the disconnection and reconnection, and /var/log is also quite unhelpful at least to my eyes (the messages file is zero bytes! back in my day it was the go-to place for this kind of thing). I'll open a ticket with Qnap, hopefully they can come up with something. Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

check the kernel logs

Code: Select all

dmesg

.. never mind, just read you had checked them already ... but maybe QNAP support knows something else to check

Return to “Miscellaneous”