TS-464 2+2 HDD Setup

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
Desperado55
New here

TS-464 2+2 HDD Setup

Post by Desperado55 »

Hello,
I'm fairly new to the NAS world and I want to consolidate files/documents that are currently spread across 10 different small HDD/SSDs. I'm leaning towards TS-464-8G as I want the "One" to serve as a media center as well (more below). The setup I'm going for is:
2 x 4TB in RAID1 for documents, photos, scans, etc. so files that I want to preserve and safeguard in case of an HDD failure (which has happened in the past, hence the NAS solution).
2 x 6TB in JBOD or Single Disks for Games, Movies, etc. so files that I just need max storage for and are not critical so no redundancy is required.

The NAS is going to be connected to a Smart 4K TV via the HDMI and of course to the LAN for everything else. The PCs accessing the RAID1 for documents, photos, etc. are all Windows 11 machines on the same LAN.

My questions are:
1. Can I setup the TS-464 with one HDD pair in RAID1 and the second pair in JBOD/Singles? If yes, is it better to use JBOD or Single Disk setup for the second HDD pair?
2. Most of my media files are in MKV format and some with external subtitle files. Will TS-464 be able to play these directly to the TV?
3. Assuming that I setup the NAS with QTS 5.1: I have a Logitech wireless Keyboard/Mouse combo with a USB dongle, if I connect this directly on the TS-464, will they work?

Thanks in advance!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-464 2+2 HDD Setup

Post by dolbyman »

Forget about HDMI connections to the NAS, the TV is a SMARTTV..use the network playback NAS are horrible players

1. I think you mean spanning JBOD. Up to you to combine you can also use RAID0 or pooled single drives..
2. Forget about the NAS as a player
3.See 2.
4. Don't forget backups..a RAID is not a backup
Desperado55
New here

Post by Desperado55 »

Thanks Dolby,
Apologies for the newb questions, I currently have a NUC with Win11 and play stuff via VLC on my TV (HDMI 4K). So I'm trying to figure out how to do this with NAS.

- So I can setup RAID1 and JBOD/Single simultaneously on the 464.
- For the media: just dump the video files on the JBOD/Singles or setup Plex (for example) for a library and then use a player on my TV to stream via LAN so let the TV player do the work?

To bother you even further, my MKV and wireless keyboard/mouse questions still stand!
Cheers!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The mkv was in conjunction with direct playback from the NAS (but that was not to be used..hence ignored..also mkv is a container ..not a codec)..same with keyboard mouse

forget the NAS has HDMI
Desperado55
New here

Post by Desperado55 »

Appreciated.

Return to “Presales”