DLNA no longer available over wi-fi

DLNA, AirPlay, Chromecast, PS3, XBOX, iTunes, & other media players
kisacat61
New here

DLNA no longer available over wi-fi

Post by kisacat61 »

Hi,

I use my NAS server exclusively as a DLNA server to deliver photos, video and music to any device in the house over wifi or ethernet. These are Android phones, Amazon firesticks, a Marantz music player, and DLNA radio and a pair of Denon smart speakers [wifi]. A TV is connected via the router/ethernet cable.

This all used to work fine with various clients, but now does not work over wifi, with one exception which I will come to later.

The Marantz and Denon [both wifi] cannot find the servers at all - either using their HEOS app on my phone or direct remote control. Neither can Android devices [phones and Firesticks] neither using BubbleUPnP nor VLC. The exception here is that the QNAP app on the Firestick can access the server - so wifi is working in this instance.

For music I use the QNAP implementation of the dBpoweramp ASSET UPnP DLNA music server - which has always worked fine in the past on all devices.

The ethernet cabled TV has no problems.

Anyone know what may be going on? Is there some server configuration which needs adjusting? Is it a permissions/security problem, given that it seems to talk OK over wifi to a QNAP firestick app? Is it the result of a recent QNAP firmware upgrade?
Any help appreciated.

Server TS-253A, QTS 5.1.7.2770

I'm not very technical, despite a long career in IT [Come on, I was a manager!]

Thanks.
NoName
Know my way around

Re: DLNA no longer available over wi-fi

Post by NoName »

So all your Wifi devices still have internet, but can't connect to the DLNA server. Is the Wifi an interface on the QNAP NAS or is the router your Wifi AP? In the first case check if you have enabled service binding on the NAS, in the second case check the setting for Wifi on your router. The QNAP app may very well connect via Internet to MyQNAP if you have that enabled, so that may be the reason it still works.

To go deeper you need to figure out the IP settings of your NAS and your Wifi devices.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

if different subnets are in play, QuFirewall could also be the culprit
kisacat61 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:35 pm I'm not very technical, despite a long career in IT [Come on, I was a manager!]

Thanks.
Jen is that you?
https://youtu.be/NuPolrd9yuo
kisacat61
New here

Post by kisacat61 »

NoName wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:52 pm So all your Wifi devices still have internet, but can't connect to the DLNA server. Is the Wifi an interface on the QNAP NAS or is the router your Wifi AP? In the first case check if you have enabled service binding on the NAS, in the second case check the setting for Wifi on your router. The QNAP app may very well connect via Internet to MyQNAP if you have that enabled, so that may be the reason it still works.

To go deeper you need to figure out the IP settings of your NAS and your Wifi devices.
Thanks. I should have been clearer as to the route things go.

The server is wired to the router, which in turn is wired to a TP-LINK Mesh wifi service. The router wifi is not used. [This is because the router does not give satisfactory coverage]. Everything aside from the TV, which is wired to the router, uses the Mesh wifi. MyQnap is not enabled.

Everything else, wired or unwired, works OK. I can communicate with both the HiFi and the Smart speakers [using wifi, not bluetooth] from their app on my phone - eg change music source, Spotify, TV, bluetooth, etc. I just can't connect to the NAS server. Which maybe implies that everything in the house is successful in talking to one another, but no-one wants to talk to QNAP.

I know. Too many bits of kit and software by too many providers.

As you said, I probably need to dig deeper.

Thanks again.
NoName
Know my way around

Post by NoName »

I guess the first thing to try out is, if the wifi devices are connected to the same subnet as the devices connected via LAN to the router. Not sure how the TP-Link mesh is managed, but ie. if you are using IP4, get the
IP address, subnet mask, default gateway
from the NAS, one wifi device and one device capable of connecting to the NAS.
It will be somewhere in a list of devices eing connected

If you are actually not running a mesh, but the repeater as an access point, it will span its own subnet for wifi devices.

If you have Laptop, you may also try to switch between LAN and WLAN to check for differences.
kisacat61
New here

Post by kisacat61 »

Thanks - I'll try that.
kisacat61
New here

Post by kisacat61 »

kisacat61 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:21 pm Thanks - I'll try that.
NoName wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:17 pm I guess the first thing to try out is, if the wifi devices are connected to the same subnet as the devices connected via LAN to the router. Not sure how the TP-Link mesh is managed, but ie. if you are using IP4, get the
IP address, subnet mask, default gateway
from the NAS, one wifi device and one device capable of connecting to the NAS.
It will be somewhere in a list of devices eing connected

If you are actually not running a mesh, but the repeater as an access point, it will span its own subnet for wifi devices.

If you have Laptop, you may also try to switch between LAN and WLAN to check for differences.
Hello again.

Thanks for your help, but I have to apologise for sending you running down a rabbit hole.

I posted the problem on the TP-Link forum and it seems the problem is far simpler than I thought, or misled you to believe.

The Deco mesh system has a switch which allows LAN access as well as WLAN. This was turned off. Why or when I don't know - I can only assume that after a firmware upgrade or a power outage, something like that, the switch was reset.

So a firm lesson for me in Occam's Razor - look for the simplest solution - it's usually the right one. As we used to say in the old days, rtfm.

Once again, thanks for getting back to me - it enabled me to go and look up all sorts of ip, gateway and subnet mask info - I haven't done that before, so I learned something!

Salut!

Return to “Media Streaming”