Office for the Web - Excel - Not Saving

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
Joker41NAM
New here

Office for the Web - Excel - Not Saving

Post by Joker41NAM »

I have a couple of Excel files on my device (TS431, latest firmware) that I access through the "Edit with Office for the Web." Everything's been fine, until yesterday. Last night, it wouldn't open the file. When I went to check things on the QNAP, it said it needed to reboot for a firmware update, so I let it do that. Afterwards, it let me open the file, but it's not letting me edit properly. It will let me make changes, saying it's saving as it goes, but then after a few minutes in the upper-left where it normally says "Saved" it changes to "Saving", even if I haven't made any changes for a few minutes. Then after a couple minutes it gives one, sometimes two messages.

Sometimes it puts up a red banner along the top of the spreadsheet, saying "Unable to Refresh Lock We will try again automatically, but you should try to save your workbook to another location or click Open in Desktop App." The details says: "Unable to acquire a lock on your workbook. We recommend selecting Open in Desktop App, or try to save your changes to a different location immediately. If the issue persists for a few more minutes, we will end the session to prevent any data loss."

The one that always comes up is: "Sorry, your workbook cannot be saved. We created a separate file with the last changes we could save. You can download the file, and upload it later to overwrite the original."

If I re-open the original Excel file, it saved one, maybe two, of the changes I made.

I'm not sure what to troubleshoot; I'm the only person with access to this device.

Thank you in advance for any help.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Office for the Web - Excel - Not Saving

Post by dolbyman »

"latest firmware" is unhelpful..always state version and build

Office for web can access your NAS files? How, isn't it made for 365/onedrive/sharepoint integration? If you have a 365 plan with desktop apps, what do they do?
Joker41NAM
New here

Post by Joker41NAM »

TS-431, version 4.3.6.2805 (2024/06/19)

I haven't done anything special; I just found that when I put a .xlsx file on the NAS, and went there in MyQNAPCloud, one of the options is "Edit with Office for the Web" I have no idea how it works, I just know it does.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

What QNAPcloud type are you using cloudlink or 'suicidal' portforwards kind ?
Joker41NAM
New here

Post by Joker41NAM »

I'm not quite sure what that means.

I go to myqnamcloud.com, Sign In, go to Device Management, select my QNAP from My Devices; go to Shared Folders tab, log in, navigate folders to where my Excel file is, click the file.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That is the danger..many many many millions in ransom have been paid by people that had no idea what they were doing

e.g.
viewtopic.php?t=164797

Best to open a ticket with QNAP, find out what you are doing (I have never heard of QNAP cloud file integration for Office365) and make sure you are not exposing your NAS to be hacked for ransom

Also don't forget to have/make backups at all times (a RAID is not a backup)
Joker41NAM
New here

Post by Joker41NAM »

I opened a ticket a little while ago. If they are able to help, I'll post here what the result is.

I know my QNAP isn't net-accessible directly; I locked down my router a long time ago so the only access is through the MyQNAPCloud site, and my passwords are long and random.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

That won't help you against any if the recent ransomware attacks.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Sounded to me like QnadpcloudLink with no upnp and no portforwards..so safe enough.

Was crossposted on reddit as well
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... ot_saving/
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:22 am Sounded to me like QnadpcloudLink with no upnp and no portforwards..so safe enough.
Possibly, but I should have quoted this part
Joker41NAM wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:08 pm and my passwords are long and random.
As it offers next to no protection and give the user a false sense of hope. Also Port Forwarding and UPnP status is unknown, I would not assume disabled necessarily.
Joker41NAM
New here

Post by Joker41NAM »

dosborne wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:25 am As it offers next to no protection and give the user a false sense of hope. Also Port Forwarding and UPnP status is unknown, I would not assume disabled necessarily.
That's what "locked down my router" means. No port forwarding, no UPnP.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Joker41NAM wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 6:48 am That's what "locked down my router" means. No port forwarding, no UPnP.
Glad to hear it. But, whatever. I'm glad you feel safe. In my opinion, "locked down" includes the 2 items listed, but also much more. Some people consider turning on the firewall as "locking down" their routers. You never know.

Back to your original issue, could you be experiencing an issue with temp space or access to the location where the lock file is written/read?

Ultimately, it "sounds" like a connectivity issue, basically exactly as the errors outline. Are you able to run any stability checks on both networks? What sort of services are you using at each end? Are you connecting directly (via QNAP), then accessing the file via a samba share or some other way? Are you able to test the functionality by connecting via VPN and a standard share?

As asked by @dolbyman, do you have a locally installed version of Excel (non web) to try? It could help narrow the issue down if it is only related to the web version (and extra layer of multiple connectivity).

This DOESN'T sounds like a permission, NAS configuration, etc type of problem.

Basically, there is a lot of overhead that could be causing your issue. As an example, if the QNAP redirect service cycles, even for a minute, then you would expect to see the sort of error message you are getting.

Did this scenario ever work reliably or is this something new that you made trying? Does it work if you are local (i.e. no cloud redirect)?

Personally, if local access works fine, I'd try to connect directly via a VPN server running on your router and run a local copy of Excel. That tales a lot of potential problems out of the picture as a test. You can perhaps add other layers back in if you determine if this works.
Joker41NAM
New here

Post by Joker41NAM »

After opening a ticket with QNAP, they told me that it was due to a server-side issue between them and Microsoft. The issue was fixed, but I still had the same problem. Then the next day, I had a power outage at home that caused the NAS to shut down, and when I powered it back up everything started working normally again. I'm guessing that after QNAP and MS fixed their issue, the MyQNAPCloud service on my NAS needed to be restarted to clear whatever communications protocol snafu had messed things up.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Sounds like a great reason to remove them both from the equation and rely on your own equipment instead.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”