NAS migration

Don't miss a thing. Post your questions and discussion about other uncategorized NAS features here.
pizio
New here

NAS migration

Post by pizio »

Hi All,
I need to migrate from my current NAS TS-453A with only two disks in RAID 1 to a TS-473A.
I have read the following article
https://www.qnap.com/en-uk/nas-migratio ... on=ts-473a
which I have checked compatibility with and should have no problems with and I have already aligned the firmware versions to the latest version.
From what I read here
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... he-old-one
just move the disks from the old to the new NAS and I find everything configured in the destination NAS is that correct?
Once I turn on the new NAS with the two disks from the old one inside I have the new NAS with the same IP, hostname and app as the old one?
It's not necessary to restore the old NAS's configuration backup is that correct?

If it is sufficient to move the disks from the old to the new NAS I imagine that the configurations (hostname, network, share and etc) are also saved on the disks.

Sorry but I wanted to make sure the procedure was that simple and that there were no other steps to do.
Hello and thank you for your time.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NAS migration

Post by dolbyman »

Make sure the firnware is QTS on both NAS (the new one in this case) otherwise the migration will fail..also make sure that you have full backups
pizio
New here

Post by pizio »

Hi, yes the new one also has O.S. QTS and the firmware versions of the two NAS are aligned. I have added a second security backup on external disk in addition to the normal sync on external NAS. Can you confirm that when I switch disks from the old to the new one I will find on the new NAS all the network configurations and etc that were present on the old NAS? Have you had any experience of migrating in this way? Do you suggest other migrations in such cases?

Thank you for your reply and time.
Hi
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Unless configurations are based on different numbers of network adapters between the units, they should be the same, yes

Return to “Miscellaneous”