TS-109: Slow QRAID Recovery

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
bhickman2
New here

TS-109: Slow QRAID Recovery

Post by bhickman2 »

My configuration:

TS-109 Pro
1.1.5 Build 1221T
Win/XP SP2
SATA: Seagate ST3750640AS 3.AA
eSATA: Seagate ST3750640AS 3.AA
QRAID-1
Default services enabled
Connection speed: 1000 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes

Background:

I want to test the QRAID recovery process to make sure I understand it before I actually need it. I copied approx 60gb of data on to the TS-109. I then turned off the eSATA drive, and formated the SATA drive. I verified the SATA drive was empty, and then turned on the eSATA drive. On the Device Configuration screen it recognized the mirror was broken and the recovery button was enabled. I clicked it and the recovery process started. The recovery appears to be working as the Free Size for the SATA drive is going down.

Problem:

This has been running for approx 2 1/2 hours and it is SLOWWWWWW. Only approx 20gb has been recovered.

Do I need to tune something? Not sure where to start.
Markovich
Know my way around

Re: TS-109: Slow QRAID Recovery

Post by Markovich »

bhickman2 wrote: Do I need to tune something?
It is a slow process, and what you are seeing is "normal" with these devices. I am not able to explain why this is so, but just confirm that you are not seeing an unusual problem and just have to wait until it completes.

- NAS 1 : TS-409Pro / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 4 x Samsung 500GB
- NAS 2 : TS-109 / fw: 3.3.0 Build 0924T / HDD: 1 x Samsung 2TB
- LAN : Draytek 2820Vn, Billion 7404VGO-M, Linksys SPA-3102, Asus WL-500g Premium
- AV : AC Ryan PlayOn!HD 2TB / Topfield TRF-2460 1TB / Samsung PS50C7000 / Yamaha RV-1065
bhickman2
New here

Post by bhickman2 »

It took approx 5 hrs to complete the sync of 60gb of data. I'll have approx 600gb of data once I'm done moving everything to the TS109. Assuming this sample recovery is somewhat linear, it's going to take 50 hours to recover 600 gb of data if if I ever have a failure?

Can anyone else on the forum chime in here? If this is really the way this QRAID stuff works, I bought an expensive door stop.
Tbreak
New here

Post by Tbreak »

Over the past weekend I went through a similar exercise. I have a TS-109 with 500GB Seagate internally, and another in a Vantec NexStar. There is about 220GB of data on the server, with Q-RAID syncing the two disks. I use a fixed IP address.

I wanted to make sure that the external disk in my Q-RAID setup was in fact a faithful rendition of the internal hard drive. I did not realise until tonight that I could simply have installed the external drive in the TS-109. I bought a new HDD, (again 500GB Seagate), installed it in the TS-109, and went through the process of setting it up using the configuration wizard. I deliberately used a DHCP supplied IP address and a different server name. I then connected the external HDD and clicked the Recover data button .....

23 hours later the data transfer was complete. But what was impressive is that once I rebooted the server after completion, it appeared as though my original setup was completely restored, right down to IP address, server name etc.

I'm happy, but not ecstatic. There must be a quicker way!!!!

Generally I find the Q-RAID syncing isn't too much of an issue. After the first time that the external disk is attached, the sync appears to be differential and is completed rather quickly. My regime is to attach the external drive once a week, sync, eject and then remove to a remote location. It's a lazy man's backup I guess.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”