Disk Read/Write Error

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
muggi
Starting out

Re: Disk Read/Write Error

Post by muggi »

Hi again,
The local computer store now confirmed over email that he recieved news WD hds.
They are number WD15EADS-00S2B0,
I guess because the number is higher than the other one im returning, thats its newer production batch and hopefully a newer firmware or whatever.

Anyone have any experience with WD15EADS-00S2B0 ?

So then hopefully later today i got a fully working Qnap with:

Drive 1 WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0 1397.26 GB Ready Scan now Good
Drive 2 WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0 1397.26 GB Ready Scan now Good
Drive 3 WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0 1397.26 GB Ready Scan now Good
Drive 4 WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0 1397.26 GB Ready Scan now Good
Drive 5 WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0 1397.26 GB Ready Scan now Good
and the new:
Drive 6 WDC WD15EADS-00S2B0 1397.26 GB

instead of:
Drive 6 WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 01.0 1397.26 GB

So if that dosn't help, next step for me is to swap the Qnap for a another.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi,
NCQ does not affect the performance in NAS.
Please see this post for the comparison chart.

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=19773
muggi
Starting out

Post by muggi »

Seems like you can find a lot of "HORROR" stories about the Wd 1,5 tb green editions.
a bit of info on the 1,5 tb
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 77707.html

but anyone have experience with an alternative, the samsung 1,5 gb green edition instead.
I think my local computer store would swap the six WD hds to 6 x samsung instead if that would matter to
the problems ?
dagon
New here

Post by dagon »

I have six 1,5Tb Samsungs (SAMSUNG HD154UI 1AG0) in a TS-639 Pro for a bit over a month now with no problems. (Altough I think they make a bit more noise than the 1TB WD green I also have)
hielschf
New here

Post by hielschf »

Hi,

I own a TS 439 Pro. I installed 3 WD15EADS, several weeks ago I got the read error on slot 1, so I formatted the HDD and rebuilt the RAID 5. Due to this thread I updated to the beta FW with the NCQ fix and later to the official version (3.1.2 Build 1014T). NAS ssemed working perfectly.

Yesterday I started my PC which is (SMB-) connected to the NAS. NAS was powered on, but drives in powersafe. After the drive spin-up, again an error occured. Again the Slot 1 drive got another raw read error (3 by now).

May be the fix isn't working ?!?!

Drives:
1) WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 01.0, FW 01.00A01 (the bad one)
2) WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 01.0, FW 01.00A01
3) WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0, FW 01.00A01
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

hielschf wrote: I own a TS 439 Pro. I installed 3 WD15EADS, several weeks ago I got the read error on slot 1, so I formatted the HDD and rebuilt the RAID 5. Due to this thread I updated to the beta FW with the NCQ fix and later to the official version (3.1.2 Build 1014T). NAS ssemed working perfectly.
Yesterday I started my PC which is (SMB-) connected to the NAS. NAS was powered on, but drives in powersafe. After the drive spin-up, again an error occured. Again the Slot 1 drive got another raw read error (3 by now).
May be the fix isn't working ?!?!
Drives:
1) WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 01.0, FW 01.00A01 (the bad one)
2) WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 01.0, FW 01.00A01
3) WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0 01.0, FW 01.00A01
Hi hielschf,
Please use the Online Support Form to submit a support request for us to remotely check your system for the HDD/system error message. Do not restart the NAS as it will wipe out the debug messages (if the error happens again).

thanks

Jason
deurges
New here

Post by deurges »

Hi All,

I just moved from a D-link DNS-323 to QNAP 239 Pro Turbo with 2x1TB WD10EADS. Took me a while copying all data and setting up again, and in the middle of a data transfer I noticed the NAS blinking red on the power and solid red on the disk. Admin menu shows disk read/write error.
I will do a bad block check tonight and post my result.. dmesg shows this however:

md: md2: raid array is not clean -- starting background reconstruction
and
md: kicking non-fresh sda4 from array!

I guess thats not good.. :)

However, what I find lacking in this forum thread is the lack of mentioning of the TLER "feature" of WD disks. It's been a known problem with WD for a long time. Basically, deskop models are not recommended in RAID mode due to dropouts. That's why the have an entire product line for this segment, with a different firmware and construction(I believe).
This link is an interesting read in the matter: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... &t=1285254

I did set the TLER as recommended in that thread for the DNS-323 and had no problems at all. So why do the disk fail on the QNAP with latest FW after 2 days? Have you incorporated a fix in the FW that affects the TLER settings modification I have done?

deurges
deurges
New here

Post by deurges »

A bad block scan fixed the issue for my part this time.

Happy reading about TLER. :wink:

deurges
fribse
Experience counts

Post by fribse »

Well, it's not for me not saying it, I've mentioned time and time again, that you should only use raid certified disks for raids, eg. the server series of the different makes :-)
They cost a bit extra, but they are worth every penny!

Btw. It's exactly the TLER that I've been telling about, for several years!
So you haven't looked hard enough :D

The only difference is that I haven't mentioned the TLER acronym, but merely talked about the time used for error recovery.
Best regards
Fribse

NO, RAID is NOT backup - Use RAID-Certified 24x7 drives for raid
HOWTO's:
Make automatic backup of ALL MySQL databases http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15628

NAS-659 Pro II (3 GB Ram), Raid1, Survailance station, local backup destination + NAS-853A (16 GB Ram), Virtualization Station, Plex, iDrive
Network: Fritz!Box 7560 + 24p SG200 + 2x8p SG200 + 8p POE EdgeCore + 300/300 mbit Internet
wabasaja
Starting out

Post by wabasaja »

Hi QNAPJason,
Hi all,

QNAPJason I wrote some earlier posts in context to the here discussed issues that I had the problems with seagate...
( just check my posts at page 2 and 5 or so or better search for wabasaja).

I asked you questions and never received an answer etc.
First I was upstet ;-) but then I thought about the problems with the badly hurricane you all had at the time arround or after my posts in Taiwan :-( sorry for that...and further on I thougt poor Jason...you have to check and answer to so many here posted problems....now after some weeks I read all the since then written posts....and I read more problems about the same context where also Seagate HD's are involved ....an I read - after all my posts -that you where surprised that seagates making the same as here discussed probelms...so I guess you never read my posts..now I'd like to ask you and all ohter Seagate HD-//QNAP-Users...any conclusion /solution / technical expertise in context to Seagate-HD-Problems in QNAP's???

Thx2all!!
Have a nice time everyone!
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi wabasaja,
In our lab we did not find problems with the Seagate 1TB & 1.5TB drives in our NAS drives.
Is it possble for you to let us connect to your NAS and check for the error messages(dmesg) for further troubleshooting?
If it's ok with you, please contact our tech. support for setting up the remote session.
http://qnap.com/onlinesupport.asp

regards,

Jason
wabasaja
Starting out

Post by wabasaja »

Hi Jason, thx for your reply :-)!

Remote session would be ok but I guess it makes no sense right now because around the time of my problems
I cleared the event messages etc....further on I bought new HD's (same Seagate 1.5 TB's) replaced the one in slot 2, made a rebuild and since that ...I had luck..in fact my NAS was just activ for some hours...I will see what happens...

All Segate and others scans showed no problems with the problem involved HD (in fact it was almost a new one).

Have you read my message which I wrote Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:20 pm...After 7 days of scanning bad blocks via SATA scan within the QNAP admin Tools...I stopped the scan....which found already more than 1 Mio. bad blocks... ...but just wihtin the QNAP NAS

The experience I made since I bought my 509 combined with all the problems I read with HD's (SG or WD) and degraded RAIDs are making me not very confident at the time ...but everything gets its chance ;-)...and I would love to keep my QNAP ;-)..

By the way I'm still runnig 2.16 on my 509...would you suggest to update it to 3.1.2 Build1014??

Thx4info!!
Have a good time!!
walter
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi Walter,
I highly suggest upgrading your 509's firmware from 2.16 to 3.1.2 because it contains many bug fixes.
GEoMaNTiK
Know my way around

Post by GEoMaNTiK »

I've found that my TS-509 is faulty (possibly one of the older models with the dodgy SATA Controller) as I've just received my 2nd Drive 4 Error in the past month.

I have a log from the 25/10 where my Drive 4 was reported as a Drive Failed, on removing this drive, I swapped with another of the same type and the rebuild worked fine and has been going along without a problem until today.
So I've now received another Drive Failed message on the new drive which was installed to replace the one in Drive 4 a month ago.

Now I'm really concerned for the 2TB of data I have on the TS-509, what is the process at this point to get a replacement 509 and will my data be safe by just plugging the 5x 640GB Drives in?

Please help guys.

btw I have the latest firmware 3.2.0 1107T which I updated to about 2 weeks ago.
QNAP TS-119P+ 3.4.3 build 0520T (WD 500GB 2.5" Scorpio Blue)
QNAP TS-119 3.4.3 build 0520T (WD 640GB 3.5" AV-GP Green Power)
Lian-Li Q08B NAS Case w/Dual Core ATOM 1.8GHz (WD 1.5TB 3.5" Caviar Green x4 and WD 1.0TB 3.5" Caviar Green x2) Microsoft Server 2008 R2
Lian-Li PC-V354B Case w/Intel Dual Core i3-530 (Hitachi 2TB 3.5" Deskstar x7) Microsoft Server 2008 R2

QNAP NMP-1000 1.1.9 build 0107T x2
Popcorn Hour A200 (WD 320GB 2.5" Green Power) [Streaming Media via TS-509]
VortexBox 1.7 (HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Green) streaming to Logitech Squeezbox Touch & Boom
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi GEoMaNTiK,
Our tech. support will provide assistace to you shortly. Please check your PM.

thanks

Jason

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”