Q-Raid1 super slow

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
herb61
Starting out

Q-Raid1 super slow

Post by herb61 »

Hello
TS 101 Firmware: 2.1.1 Build 0827T 400 GB Samsung HDD
I clone my HDD with Q-Raid1 USB (SATA no connection).
I need 26 hours for clone 280 GB.
Is that not to slow.
What can i do for more speed?
ckamps
Starting out

Re: Q-Raid1 super slow

Post by ckamps »

Yep, myself and some other folks I know have been seeing 8-10 GB per hour for sync operations on their TS-109 Pro units. Although I'd like a much faster sync performance, I'm not too bothered about it because:

1) After the initial sync from scratch when I'm initializing a new eSATA drive, I don't expect to encounter sync from scratch situations. So the sync from scratch won't be frequently occurring events.

2) When I do my monthly swap of eSATA drives (at any one time one of the eSATA units lives at an off-site location), the resync is partial in that only the data changed in the previous month since the last swap needs to be sync'd. So depending on the amount of change to the NAS server's internal drive, the resync can take just 10s of minutes to several hours.

3) In ongoing incremental sync operations, I can handle the fact that the NAS server's sync with the eSATA drive will take minutes to 10's of minutes to catch up with my real-time file copies. I knew going in that I wasn't buying a true RAID-capable device. Besides, given the off-site backup strategy, I find it very useful to have the easy to attach/dettach eSATA drives.

4) In the case of a NAS server internal drive failure, I plan to remove the drive from the current eSATA housing and install that drive into the NAS server. This will be much faster than installing a new drive into the NAS server and depending on the Q-RAID 1 recovery process to sync from the eSATA drive to the new NAS internal drive. (I haven't tried the drive swapping approach, but I've read in several documents that it's a viable solution).

On point 3) above: In my TS-109 case I am not seeing Q-RAID 1 automatically sync newly copied files from the NAS server to the eSATA drive within a reasonable period of time. I was expecting that Q-RAID 1 would initiate incremental sync automatically. Support has told me that it should. But I don't see it happening on my TS-109. Since the main reason I bought the 109 was for the ease of replication to an external drive, if this problem persists on my unit, then I will be returning it. (Yeah, I know, I can use the remote backup feature to backup to a locally attached USB drive, but I could buy much less expensive NAS units and achieve the same result.)
cjb42
New here

Post by cjb42 »

Am currently new to this device, and am doing some backup/restore testing before committing all my data onto it. So far I am less than impressed with the speed of the Q-RAID, at just 2.75MB/sec to eSATA.

I accept that incrementals are going to take less time, as the rsync will just update and add changed files, but it's the restore time that bothers me.

I've formatted the internal disk and am currently running a restore, which is looking even slower. Frankly, that's not fit for purpose. I'm currently staring down the barrel of a 2 to 3 day restore time in the event of disk failure.

In fact the restore has just finished.... 98 minutes to bring back 16GB of data.

That'll be over 4 days to restore a 500GB drive then. That's no good.

c.
TS-109 pro 1.1.4 Build 1207T
TCP/IP: Fixed IP via DHCP, 1000 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes
Enabled: Microsoft Networking (workgroup), FTP, UPnP MediaServer
Disabled: Apple Networking, NFS, Web File Manager, Multimedia Station, iTunes, Download Station, Web Server, DDNS, MySQL
SATA: Seagate ST3500320AS SD04 (7200.11)
ckamps
Starting out

Post by ckamps »

In the NAS server internal disk failure scenario, why wouldn't you remove the drive from the eSATA unit, install it in the NAS server and start accessing your data? It would be a 20 minute task.
cjb42
New here

Post by cjb42 »

That's a good option.... but sadly one that looks impossible for me.

Unfortunately the external unit I have does not facilitate the removal of the disk as it is one of those Seagate external units.

I guess I should have looked up this forum before I purchased, then I would have known to choose something more appropriate... I just imagined that sending data to and from an eSATA drive would be pretty quick.... not 1/5th the speed of ethernet.

Thanks,

c.
TS-109 pro 1.1.4 Build 1207T
TCP/IP: Fixed IP via DHCP, 1000 Mbps, MTU: 1500 Bytes
Enabled: Microsoft Networking (workgroup), FTP, UPnP MediaServer
Disabled: Apple Networking, NFS, Web File Manager, Multimedia Station, iTunes, Download Station, Web Server, DDNS, MySQL
SATA: Seagate ST3500320AS SD04 (7200.11)
herb61
Starting out

Post by herb61 »

Is it also possible to Backup Direktories with a Backupsoftware like Ghos or Acronis.
Can i put the disk on the sata to the PC and Backup?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”