Best Way to Copy My Music & Film files to QNAP

Please post your questions about using the web-based Photo, Music, Video Stations here.
tony from suffolk
Starting out

Best Way to Copy My Music & Film files to QNAP

Post by tony from suffolk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:46 pm

A newby question - I've ordered a QNAP HS-251 NAS to store all my movies, music & photos. These are currently stored on a hard drive attached to my iMac and take up approx 1.8 TB of space. (I'm installing 2x3 TB WD Red drives in the HS-251). So, how best to transfer these files? I've tried to find this information out but there doesn't appear to be an obvious answer!

My immediate thought is to use the NAS's USB port, connect this to the iMac & transfer the files that way (presumably into the Multimedia Station?) Surely if I try to do it over the network it'll take ages.

pwilson
Guru

Re: Best Way to Copy My Music & Film files to QNAP

Post by pwilson » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:54 pm

tony from suffolk wrote:A newby question - I've ordered a QNAP HS-251 NAS to store all my movies, music & photos. These are currently stored on a hard drive attached to my iMac and take up approx 1.8 TB of space. (I'm installing 2x3 TB WD Red drives in the HS-251). So, how best to transfer these files? I've tried to find this information out but there doesn't appear to be an obvious answer!

My immediate thought is to use the NAS's USB port, connect this to the iMac & transfer the files that way (presumably into the Multimedia Station?) Surely if I try to do it over the network it'll take ages.

If you don't want to copy them to the NAS via the network, simply copy them to a USB HDD from the Mac, then attach the USB Disk to your NAS, and copy the content to the "Multimedia" share using File Station, or simply use the command line. (Depending on your undisclosed Firmware Version/Build on the NAS, there can be interoperability issues attaching Mac created HFS drives to the NAS and visa vera, so do a "test" first with a few files on the USB drive, to ensure it attaches without issue when plugged into the NAS. If the "test" is successful, then you can do it again with a full drive).

I was lazy here. I did it via the network, this is the easiest method, albeit slow. It took several days via the network, but I didn't need to babysit it, it just chugged along and my data was moved without issue. If you use the USB Drive strategy you end up copying everything twice, once to the external drive, and then again from the external drive. If you use the network it only has to copy each file once, but doing it over the network will saturate it, so the performance of your entire network will be "sluggish" while the copying is taking place. To minimize the impact of this, I simply wait until just before I go to bed, as this allows it to do it's "work" while I'm sleeping, and therefore I don't care about sluggish network performance on the other devices on my network.

It's like the Fast Food industry. Good, Fast, Cheap: Pick any "two". Food that is "fast" and "cheap" is seldom "good". Food that is "good" and "fast" is seldom "cheap", etc. Sometimes the "fastest" way, and the "easiest" way are not the same thing. Transferring files via USB Drives is faster, but it requires more "NAS Admin" labour to successfully move the files. Moving via the network is slow, but it requires almost no work by the NAS Admin. It's all about making informed decisions.

If you do decide to do it via your network, I urge you to do so via Ethernet. If you do if over Wi-Fi it will probably take 10 times as long, and if the Wi-Fi connection drops during the transfer you might have to do it multiple times in order to get everything transferred. Good luck with your data migration, and welcome to the Forum.

It really depends on how much data you are talking about.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

tony from suffolk
Starting out

Post by tony from suffolk » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:07 am

Manty thanks for your comprehensive reply Patrick. As it happens, I've started downloading the way you suggest - via ethernet. It can quietly chug away to itself for a few days.

tony from suffolk
Starting out

Post by tony from suffolk » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:02 pm

Sorry to resurrect this again - I've hit a peculiar problem. Having (so I thought) imported all my music into my QNAP from my existing iTunes library on my iMac's attached HD, I've only just realised that although the artist folders have downloaded, those from A to S don't contain the music files/tracks, yet those from T to Z are correctly populated. This has completely foxed me.

When I imported initially, I selected "Folder" rather than "File" from the upload menu, and selected the iTunes Music folder. I then left it to upload without interruption. If I open each folder and upload the individual tracks that works fine, but it'd be a nightmare to have to do this for each file (I've 900 or so albums on the HD).

Help gratefully received!

tony from suffolk
Starting out

Post by tony from suffolk » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:19 am

Solved, by Phil Harris, one of the technical bods with Naim. Rather than using the upload file dialogue in the QNAP admin, he opened both locations and did a copy/paste of the folders. This, for some reason, did the trick. Heaven knows why the upload process worked on only some files...

This is obviously a bug in the QNAP software.

tony from suffolk
Starting out

Solved, by Phil Harris, one of the technical bods with Naim. Rather than using the upload file dialogue in the QNAP admin, he opened both locations and did a copy/paste of the folders. This, for some reason, did the trick. Heaven knows why the upload process worked on only some files...

tony from suffolk
Starting out

tony from suffolk
Starting out

Return to “Photo Station, Music Station, Video Station”