Using HD Station offline

Interested in our products? Post your questions here. Let us answer before you buy.
CndChaos
New here

Using HD Station offline

Post by CndChaos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi there,

I currently have a TS-212P, however I am going to be upgrading to the TS-251. I know that this NAS includes an HDMI port and there are some compatible remote controls that work with it. My question is whether I need a network connection to use the HDMI connection to ** stored on the NAS itself?

Basically we tend to go to a cottage a few times a year and there is no internet connection. If I want to bring movies to watch I currently bring an external hard-drive and then a player with a USB port to connect to the tv (Patriot Box Office). With the TS-251 am I able to just bring that NAS with an HDMI cable and remote?

Also, if so, would it still have the full interface or would it end up being more of a directory listing view?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a foolish question :)

Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Using HD Station offline

Post by Trexx » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:05 am

It depends on how you want to view your files. I use KODI with my HD Station to view all my videos/etc. If you have it synced at home before you head to the cottage, it will have all the cover art, imdb info,etc. already stored on the NAS so you wouldn't need an internet connection for it.

Then you just navigate via your QNAP remote and you will be up and running.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq

CndChaos
New here

Post by CndChaos » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Thank you for the reply!

Sounds like it will do exactly what I want it to do.

CndChaos
New here

Post by CndChaos » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:34 am

Thank you for the reply!

Sounds like it will do exactly what I want it to do.

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:43 am

Trexx wrote:It depends on how you want to view your files. I use KODI with my HD Station to view all my videos/etc. If you have it synced at home before you head to the cottage, it will have all the cover art, imdb info,etc. already stored on the NAS so you wouldn't need an internet connection for it.

Then you just navigate via your QNAP remote and you will be up and running.

Yup. I do the same here. I do have an additional hint to share for this generally:

I have my NAS deliberately configured to operate on "DHCP". (I use a DHCP Reservation to ensure that my NAS is always issued the same IP address from the Router every time it connects to my own network, and so Port-Forwarding etc works properly).

By doing this my NAS can be plugged into any network, and it will get an IP address from the "guest network" it is connected to. I simply have "QNAP QFinder" on my Laptop, so I can "find" my NAS when it is connected to other peoples networks. QRemote seems to manage to find it too, so I can use it anywhere.

When I visit my out-of-town friends I take my NAS with me. I can always access Kodi via it's HDMI port, even when connected to a network without an Internet connection. Our OP should setup a Router at his Cottage, despite the lack of Internet. This would allow portable devices, (ie SmartPhones/Tablets/Laptops) to connect to it, and be able to access the NAS just like "at home".

Kodi can be configured to operate as a DLNA Server in addition to playing out to the TV via HDMI, so this would allow persons present at the cottage to continue to access the NAS via their portable devices as well. (The Router would provide Wi-Fi access, as well as permitting connecting "wired" devices together into a single network).

Kids typically have different taste in Movies/TV Shows/Music than their parents, so parents and children alike could continue to enjoy their Multimedia while at the Cottage.

If my "DHCP Reservation" concept is followed for this task, both the Home Router and the Cottage Router could be configured to operate on the same Private Network subnet, and both Routers could issue the same IP address to the NAS when it is connected. This would permit portable devices to easily access the NAS regardless of which network it is connected to, as the NAS would be at the same Private Network address on both networks. :DD :DD

Anyway, I'll leave it at this for now. I welcome further comments and/or questions about my musings above.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “Presales”