AFP and Timemachine issues

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
BurningSky
Know my way around

AFP and Timemachine issues

Post by BurningSky »

Hey,

Recently my Timemachine backups have been playing up. It will work fine for a while and the AFP access on my NAS just seems to fall over. There is no connectivity issue between the 2 because smb carries on working fine. Usually I have to remove this disk in time machine, disable Timemachine, disable afp then reenable Timemachine to resolve the issue which is less than ideal! When I try to connect manually using afp://ip before I reenable everything it says the host cannot be contacted. There aren't any errors on the Qnap. Any thoughts?

Qnap firmware: 4.1.3
Mac mini (late 2014): 10.10.3

Sample error on Mac:
14/06/2015 09:54:47.016 com.apple.backupd[47073]: Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://TimeMachine@<hostname>(TimeMachine)._afpovertcp._tcp.local./TMBackup
14/06/2015 09:55:18.716 com.apple.backupd[47073]: NAConnectToServerSync failed with error: 64 (Host is down) for url: afp://TimeMachine@<hostname>(TimeMachine)._afpovertcp._tcp.local./TMBackup
tekcert
First post

Re: AFP and Timemachine issues

Post by tekcert »

I've got a similar problem. Since upgrading to 10.10.3, I can't even connect to the TimeMachine drive on the QNAP. Mavericks worked just fine, but Yosemite doesn't seem to be able to connect. I've looked in the logs and I see entries like the following:

7/4/15 3:54:28.397 PM com.apple.prefs.backup.remoteservice[40611]: Error while confirming network destination: Error Domain=NSOSStatusErrorDomain Code=64 "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 64.)" (kOTSerialFramingErr / EHOSTDOWN: / Host is down)

The QNAP is running, TimeMachine is enabled, AFP is enabled, I see the QNAP Time Machine drive in the list of available destination disks when in the TimeMachine System Preferences. However, selecting the disk just throws an error message.

Update: Since reading your post, I tried using Finder to connect to a server AFP://<QNAP IP ADDRESS> and it connected in finder without issues. Then in the Time Machine System Preferences, I selected the mounted AFP disk and it worked! Not ideal since it's not really automated. I'll have to try backing up again after a reboot to see if it maintains the settings.
duggojnr
First post

Post by duggojnr »

My issue with QNAP and TimeMachine:
1. When I enable Time Machine (TM) support in Backup Station and open TM system preferences I see TMBackup in the list of drives available but when I try to connect I get one of two error dialogues: [ Time Machine can't access the backup disk "TMBackup". The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.) ] OR [ There was a problem connecting to the server "QNAPKD(TimeMachine)". The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Contact your system administrator to resolve the problem. ]
2. Leaving TM support enabled, I have tried creating a shared folder and by enabling DHX2 support in QTS/Network Services I can find the folder at afp://192.168.1.11 and mount it on the Mac desktop. It appears in TM preferences but when I select it as the TM backup folder I get the second error message - server not supported.

System Details:
Mac Pro 4,1 (mid 2010); OSX10.11; QNAP TS 453 Pro; QTS 4.2.0 (25.9.2015); Netgear GS116 unmanaged ethernet switch; Netgear R7000 router.

Would really appreciate knowing where to start looking for a solution - The QNAP and 4x6TB HDDs are just so much junk right now.
herksen
Getting the hang of things

Post by herksen »

duggojnr wrote:My issue with QNAP and TimeMachine:
1. When I enable Time Machine (TM) support in Backup Station and open TM system preferences I see TMBackup in the list of drives available but when I try to connect I get one of two error dialogues: [ Time Machine can't access the backup disk "TMBackup". The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error 2.) ]

Hi there,

Since very recent I have this same error too on a QNAP TS-879 Pro (8 x 3 Tb HD) when I add a NEW Mac to the TMBackup on the QNAP.

Systems that were already making TMBackups to this QNAP without any problems, are now giving errors like: '
'Backupdisk is missing. Make a backup when 'Server' is available.

I'm running the latest update of QTS (v4.2.0 dd 2016-01-19)
I'm running most recent version of OS X: El Capitan v 10.11.3

I didn't have this problem a week ago.

If anyone has any clue what happened, and what should be done to get back TMBackup functionality, you will make my day.

Cheers

Robbert

OR [ There was a problem connecting to the server "QNAPKD(TimeMachine)". The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported. Contact your system administrator to resolve the problem. ]

2. Leaving TM support enabled, I have tried creating a shared folder and by enabling DHX2 support in QTS/Network Services I can find the folder at afp://192.168.1.11 and mount it on the Mac desktop. It appears in TM preferences but when I select it as the TM backup folder I get the second error message - server not supported.

System Details:
Mac Pro 4,1 (mid 2010); OSX10.11; QNAP TS 453 Pro; QTS 4.2.0 (25.9.2015); Netgear GS116 unmanaged ethernet switch; Netgear R7000 router.

Would really appreciate knowing where to start looking for a solution - The QNAP and 4x6TB HDDs are just so much junk right now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TS-EC879U-RP (16Gb ram), 8x WD3000FYYZ-01UL1B2 3Tb in Raid 6 (yes, six!!).
TS-1079 Pro ( 8Gb ram), 10x WD Raid Edition 4 (WD2003FYYS) 2Tb HD in RAID 5
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dani2016
New here

Post by Dani2016 »

Dear All,

I reviewed many posts of the same or similar kind, since yesterday. Mainly are all are reporting that the TimeMachine on their MacBook cannot access the QNAP TimeMachine service and that this came all of a sudden.
I had the very same problem and solved it in so far, that my both MacBooks do backup again for the time beeing :shock: .
:oops: I could also no longer connect via afp. After playing a bit around I have got the impression that there is a problem in the way the two devices do communicate. Not connectivity itself, but the rights granted to each other. :geek:

Solution found
Step 1: Delete out-dated server information in your MacBook
- go via finder -> program -> utulities ("Dienstprogramme" in German)
- and select key holder ("Schlüsselbund" in German)
- all old passwords in relation to the TimeMachine shall be deleted from the key holder of the MacBook

Step 2: Connect to your NAS
- go to the finder
- connected again with your server by typing afp://TimeMachine@<NAS name or IP address>/TMBackup
- if the connection works you are prompted to give the TimeMachine password you have assigned during the set-up of the TimeMachine service on your NAS

Step 3: Set-up time machine in the MacBook
- open TimeMachine in the System Settings
- select the volume
- you should on one hand the old volume selected and in parallel the new
- delete the old setting and insert the new

Step 4: Test
- Start backup
- Now it should work again. :lol:

My System Details:
MacBook Pro OS X, 10.11.3 El Capitan
QNAP NAS x69L 4.2.0 build 20160311

Hope it will work for you as well. :DD

Warm Regards
Dani
arteon2000
Starting out

Post by arteon2000 »

Thanks! Worked for me too.

My steps were:

Disable Time Machine backup from the NAS admin page
Access the NAS via SSH in Terminal i.e. ssh admin@<ip of nas>
Delete the Time Machine files with the command:
rm -r /share/MD0_DATA/.timemachine
Enable Time Machine backup again
Go to Finder > afp://TimeMachine@<NAS name or IP address (I used my local IP address)/TMBackup
Enter Password
Run a Time Machine backup from your Mac
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

I suggest you move away from AFP and migrate to SMB for your backups - Apple has made SMB2 it's default since 10.9 (Mavericks), so it is only a matter of time....
QNAP's tutorial works well: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... as-via-smb
macfloripa
New here

Post by macfloripa »

To get the SMB backups working I had to go to Microsoft networking on the Qnap and set the SMB version to 3.0 after following the advice of torch1. When you set a folder as a Time Machine backup folder, it lowers the SMB version to 2.0. My Mac and Qnap are running the latest versions OS and firmware, which may make a difference. Looks like a bug.
torch1
Know my way around

Post by torch1 »

Doubtful - what version of QTS are you running? You may want to add a /etc/nsmb.conf to your Mac. Here is mine:

Code: Select all

[default]
signing_required=no
protocol_vers_map=6
port445=no_netbios
streams=yes
I am connecting at SMB 3_02 (smbutil statshares -a):

Code: Select all

==================================================================================================
SHARE                         ATTRIBUTE TYPE                VALUE
==================================================================================================
Public                        
                              SERVER_NAME                   QNAS
                              USER_ID                       501
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
                              SMB_VERSION                   SMB_3.02
                              SMB_SHARE_TYPE                DISK
                              SIGNING_SUPPORTED             TRUE
                              EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED   TRUE
                              UNIX_SUPPORT                  TRUE
                              LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE
                              OS_X_SERVER                   TRUE
                              FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED          TRUE
esmith3001
First post

Post by esmith3001 »

The solution from Dani2016 worked for me.
JVK01
New here

Post by JVK01 »

Hope it's okay to tag on to this thread -- if not I can make a new post.

I may be experiencing what others have reported here; my QNAP has been running great since I got it in September but suddenly today (Dec. 3) my Time Machine backups stopped working. Two of my Macs (both laptops) record their last backups at around 2pm and then nothing. In System Prefs they show "Looking for backup disk." A third Mac stopped backing up 3 days ago, and today I just realized that a 4th Mac (Mini) that I had set to backup before our Thanksgiving week vacation never completed the backup job. Everything was working fine when I set it up and the only recent change was a firmware update just before all this started.

I did have AFP running when I set up TM backups initially; should I just start fresh, nuke the whole backup folder as suggested above and reset the logins? I'm tried selecting the regular SMB share on the network but the Time Machine window is stuck at "Connecting..."
Darthajack
Starting out

Post by Darthajack »

JVK01 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:42 pm Hope it's okay to tag on to this thread -- if not I can make a new post.

I may be experiencing what others have reported here; my QNAP has been running great since I got it in September but suddenly today (Dec. 3) my Time Machine backups stopped working. Two of my Macs (both laptops) record their last backups at around 2pm and then nothing. In System Prefs they show "Looking for backup disk." A third Mac stopped backing up 3 days ago, and today I just realized that a 4th Mac (Mini) that I had set to backup before our Thanksgiving week vacation never completed the backup job. Everything was working fine when I set it up and the only recent change was a firmware update just before all this started.

I did have AFP running when I set up TM backups initially; should I just start fresh, nuke the whole backup folder as suggested above and reset the logins? I'm tried selecting the regular SMB share on the network but the Time Machine window is stuck at "Connecting..."
Before you nuke anything, copy your backups to another folder. It might be a permissions issue a few people had. If you eventually get an error saying you don't have access, it's that. Check other threads. Somehow the TimeMachine account and the TMBackup folder can't be accessed anymore. I think QNAP engineers are working on a fix, they spend some time by remote support doing something on NAS and it appears they got it working again.

In the meantime, just copy your backups to a new shared folder, make it a Time Machine backup in properties and use either your normal credentials or a new shared user and point to that in Time Machine instead. Your backups will resume where they left off.
JVK01
New here

Post by JVK01 »

In the meantime, just copy your backups to a new shared folder, make it a Time Machine backup in properties and use either your normal credentials or a new shared user and point to that in Time Machine instead. Your backups will resume where they left off.
Thank you @Darthajack, appreciate it!

FWIW I just tried to create a new shared backup folder for my Mac Mini which I have *not* backed up yet to the QNAP. I went through all the instructions here:https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/tutor ... as-via-smb and made sure to connect the Mini to the shared Time Machine folder via SMB and not AFP. And yet I'm still getting "looking for backup disk" in System Prefs.

Meanwhile my MacBook Pro (Big Sur) just started backing up again all by itself at 2am this morning, and has been backing up all day.

I'm at a loss.
JVK01
New here

Post by JVK01 »

Update: I was able to get one of the Macs that stopped backing up (an iMac) to start backing up again. I created a new user and a corresponding backup folder on the NAS and moved the old sparse bundle into it. I was able to get the iMac to see the new folder in Time Machine prefs and it started backing up -- unfortunately it analyzed the old sparse bundle and decided it needed to toss it, so I lost all those older backups.

Mac Mini is still fighting me; it can see the folder on the NAS but it just stalls out on trying to find it for backup. I had made some tweaks in Terminal a while ago to get it to backup to an older SMB device; maybe I need to clear out some caches or reset something...
JVK01
New here

Post by JVK01 »

My update #2 – *SOLVED* (I think)

Just leaving this here in case anyone else has similar issues.

Finally got the Mac mini to backup to the QNAP. First I ran a Terminal command to check the current Time Machine disk and login; I noticed it was still set to "Admin" even though I had told it to use a different user login to it's own backup folder. I ran another command to clear the TM disk selection (sorry I can't remember them offhand but they're an easy Google search) and then I went into my Keychain and deleted all the logins that were Time Machine related. I logged in to the QNAP with the new user name and mounted the new backup folder to my desktop, and then pointed Time Machine at that folder. After a brief message of "Looking for backup disk" again (almost flipped the table) it finally clicked and started backing up.

FYI I was only able to connect to the QNAP over AFP; any attempts to connect via SMB would show the list of folders on the QNAP volume but then I couldn't connect to any of them without an error. It might be because it's an older Mac running Mojave (not sure if SMB is supposed work for TM in that OS) but I'll take it.

iMac backups are going fine under the new system (new user>back up to new folder with dedicated permissions). And both laptops, for whatever reason, started working again on their own. Go figure.

Return to “Mac OS”