Container Station on the TS-559 Pro II

QNAP NAS solution for server virtualization and clustering/HA/FT
kuvyol
New here

Container Station on the TS-559 Pro II

Post by kuvyol »

Hello!

Аre there any plans to realize Container Station (or just Docker) for the TS-559 Pro II ?

Thanks.
pwilson
Guru

Re: Container Station on the TS-559 Pro II

Post by pwilson »

I believe it lacks the hardware for Container Station.
QNAP Solution: [url=https://www.qnap.com/solution/container_station/en-us/]Container Station[/url] wrote: *Container Station is available from the QTS App Center (QTS 4.2 beta or above) for x86-based TS-x51, TS-x53, TS/TVS-x63, TVS-x70, TVS-x71, TS/SS-x79 and TS/TVS-x80 series and the ARM-based TS-x31+ series with a minimum of 1GB RAM.
**Virtualization Station can only be installed on a Turbo NAS that supports Intel VT-x technology

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
kuvyol
New here

Post by kuvyol »

Maybe. Although the hardware for Docker should be enough.
The TS-x59 Pro II hardware: dual-core Intel® Atom™ D525 1.8GHz processor with 1GB of DDRIII RAM (expandable to 3GB).

Docker can even run on Raspberry-Pi )) - ARM processor of 700 MHZ and internal memory of 512 MB.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

kuvyol wrote:Docker can even run on Raspberry-Pi )) - ARM processor of 700 MHZ and internal memory of 512 MB.
In a product environment, you have to provide testing, QA, documentation, support - so there is much more than "just" hardware requirements. In the same context, e have to speak about the "new" Storage Manager for the older NAS models, too .. what would add much more value to a storage system than Container Station.

But then, I'm as buffed as you are to see Container Station support for the TS-x31+ series, but not for the older x86.
kuvyol
New here

Post by kuvyol »

Thanks to the experts for the clarification, well it's time to choose the modern model of NAS
brano
Getting the hang of things

Post by brano »

But then, I'm as buffed as you are to see Container Station support for the TS-x31+ series, but not for the older x86.
Indeed, I'm puzzled as well.

Having TS-459 Pro+ here I'm actually quite disappointed on QNAP dropping ball on this. It's a x86 arch with 1GB RAM running 64bit kernel. Docker would run just fine. Even if available as standalone app. I've tried to install the Container station but got error "Container station not supported on this kernel" ...whatever that may be.
I understand the CPU has not virtualization on chip, but that's irrelevant for Docker, which as already mentioned, runs pretty much on anything.
kxd
Starting out

Post by kxd »

I contacted QNAP today about support for Container Station on my TS-659 Pro+ and got the following "answer" - "even though there is still 4.2 firmware for TS-659 Pro+ but container station need new kernel (3.12.6 ) to support it."
According to my system, with QTS 4.2 Release Candidate 4 installed, I only have 3.4.6 kernel version.

I guess this is their way of encouraging sales and upgrades to newer NAS versions! Really annoying since I bought a Pro version, have 6x3TB HDD installed and am running mainly business apps on it and using it for this purpose. I would dearly love the new Virtualisation support and Docker but wont be happenning anytime soon at this point. Simply cant justify another $2K just to get a NAS for these features.

Maybe there is a Jailbrake version where you can simply change the kernel version and update it to gain access to newer apps. I'd be interested to see what, if any, specific kernel support was in place for Container Station??
brano

Post by brano »

I came to same conclusion, see http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=199&t=114427
Maybe there is a Jailbrake version where you can simply change the kernel version and update it to gain access to newer apps
You can not change kernel version on the system easily, but you can change the check in containter-station and install it manually. I just did that on my 459 Pro+ and the container-station installs just fine, but does not start due to "web page not found or web server is not running error" which I had no time to investigate further.
Also during install there was one error about "br_utils" missing.
I'd be interested to see what, if any, specific kernel support was in place for Container Station??
I'd love to know that too. I see the container-station package is bringing with it several pre-compled libraries and those are probably missing in earlier kernel versions and that's why I'm guessing I can't start the manually installed package.

That all said, I see no reason why QNAP can't provide container station for earlier x86 kernels or upgrade our PRO models to newer version. As you mentioned, I too bought PRO model hoping to not run into issues like this and yet here we are. :(
|<amil
First post

Post by |<amil »

Any news regarding 'How to install Container Station'?
It is sad that QNAP doesn't want to support 'older' PRO models. Not nice....
maniac0r
New here

Post by maniac0r »

I have same problem with my TS-869PRO and latest QTS-4.0.2 with 64bit kernel 3.4.6 :(
No Container Station available...
I have intended to keep this Qnap for another 1-2 years and then upgrade to newer model, but this kind of support for just a bit older devices makes me think about other options for future nas :/
joost@signed.nl
Starting out

Post by joost@signed.nl »

Docker works on XpEnology ;), just build your own NAS. Running Docker on a HP with the Synology software installed. http://xpenology.me/
If your NAS is not setup yet, you could consider: https://hackaday.com/tag/qnology/. It simply runs synology software straight from your QNap :). I started to try XPEnology, because i was disappointed with QNAP as well. I love the QNAP hardware, but lacks the innovation Synology has.
ohault

Post by ohault »

I also would like to have an update about official support of Container Station on x69, x59 hardware (and latest Linux kernel versions)
bseos

Post by bseos »

If this is how they are going to be, time to buy a Synology then.
TS-659 Pro+ [6x 2TB Raid 5]
Cisco Linksys E3000 as Gateway & E2000 as an Access Point; both running Tomato RAF.

Return to “Server Virtualization & Clustering”